1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow cooker recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by camis, Apr 20, 2012.

1. camis

camis New commenter

Have been lurking here a while and know there are some slow cooker enthusiasts about! I'm trying to gather together some new ideas for using mine, as I think it will come in very useful when I start my PGCE in September.

I usually either make a beef stew - stewing steak, loads of veggies all thrown in together - or chicken portions with veg, then blend up the veg and gravy with tinned tomatoes to make a sauce for the chicken. Or use it to cook a gammon joint!

None of these are particularly adventurous, so if anyone has a great recipe they would like to share (that doesn't take hours to prepare in the morning!), I would be very grateful (as would my husband and 4 children, otherwise they may never eat!)

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

All I can say is

BETHANNIE..............................................you're wanted!

3. camis

camis New commenter

Thanks for the ideas Bethannie. As a family we eat most things, other than eldest daughter who is veggie, so I usually end up doing something separate for her anyway! I've cooked gammon and brisket joints whole in the slow cooker, but haven't tried other joints - I guess I need to try a few things out before September and see what works!

If you do curry in the slow cooker, do you seal the meat first? When I do a stew I just throw it all in without sealing - would that still work for a curry? Don't know why I haven't thought of doing soup in there - I make quite a lot of soup but tend to do it on the hob - will have to experiment.

Will have a search through the forum to see if I can find your previous posts - any other ideas welcome!

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Here is the link...post 2 includes a very adaptable curry recipe, and the recipe for rice pudding:
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/467319.aspx?PageIndex=1

I tend not to bother browning/sealing meat.
    Depending on the variety of sausage and the sauce I'm doing, i may brown them just to stop them looking anaemic if I am having guests, Also I sometimes pre-fry onions as it gives a slightly different flavour to them.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If you use curry paste instead of dry spices the meat won't need browning and the spices will already have been roasted.

I'd brown sausages, though. I have tried putting them straight in and some people like them like that but, personally, I don't like the texture.

6. I do a chorizo, bean stew which is delicious. I get one of those long sausages of chorizo and chop into chunks, add chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, couple of teaspoons of cumin, couple of teaspoons of chilli, a tin of kidney beans and any other types of beans you might have in the cupboard. Then just slow cook for 4 hours or so.
    It's great for puddings for example syrup sponge, jam sponge, christmas pudding. Even made a really delicious carrot cake.
    I ofen stick a whole chicken in and let it cook all day. The meat just falls off the bones. It's great for making soups, chilli, bolognaise. Basically just about any recipe can be cooked in the slow cooker. You perhaps just need a little less liquid.
    I always make mulled wine in my slow cooker.