1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow cooker bargain

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, May 16, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi lapinrose,
    I've just ordered one. Thanks so much!
    Didn't have time to read the reviews. Do you reckon it's a decent one? Mind you, for only £5.99 I can live with it!

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Come to think of it, it will be ideal for my diet meals. I'm on Slimming World and you get lots of 'unlimited' meat and veg to eat. I'm not a very good cook either, but the slow cooker can do it for me. Bonus!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

They say it's fine for 1 or 2 people but quite small. For £5.99 who cares!

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Absolutely!
    I look forward to trying it out.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Slow-cookers are amazing! [​IMG]

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It looks very much like mine.

8. Thanks for that. I've just ordered one.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Pleased a couple of you took advantage.

10. I've been thinking of getting one for ages and now I have one ordered as well. Thank you :)

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Did a chicken chasseur in mine today. Lovely [​IMG]

12. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Ordered one for Miss C-1 who will hopefully be a Nursing student from September.

13. I've ordered one too! Thanks a lot for that!

14. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Does anlyone have some really exciting recipes?

I always seem to do the same things in mine :(

15. I tend to do the same sorts of things too but pop over to cookery and ask the question. I'm sure Beth and a few others will be able to give you some really delicious ideas.

16. I actually saw these instore last night.
    They also had a cookworks family size for £14:99.

17. I am not being a party pooper, honestly, as man has cooked us some lovely stew-type meals in his slow cooker.
    However, my problem with not doing casseroles etc more often is the PREPARATION..the peeling and chopping of veg and trimming fat from meat etc. (Cannot bear fat on meat). If I buy cheap cuts of meat whatever, I still have to trim the fat off. (Yeah..I know all about 'flavour'. I reIy on the cheaper cuts of meat being more sinew-y and that melts down in cooking so it's OK. The outer, visible fat still has to come off...[​IMG].) I'd still have to prepare the same with stuff I wanted to make in a slow cooker wouldn't I? It's as easy to stick the oven on and have something ready in two hours.
    It all boils down to cost I suppose...Does a slow cooker, using electricity for most of the day, work out cheaper, fuel wise, than a small top oven being used for two hours? If so, it'd be worth me having one, as I love 'bung it all in a pot with gravy' meals.

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi AE [​IMG]
    Could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the appeal for most folks is that you bung it all in before going to work .... and when you get home 8 hours later, the house smells all yummy and your meal is ready.

19. You are right Tarte....but that calls for being super-organised. [​IMG]
    I used to HATE the colleagues who'd hoovered the house, hung out the washing, made a casserole etc before coming into school. They still arrived with immaculate make-up and hair....
    [​IMG] Why can't I be like them???

20. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Grr. I bet they're the same ones at uni who said that they hadn't revised for the exam, but hey presto got full marks!
    I much prefer flawed people to perfect ones [​IMG]. I bet you're far more interesting than the above people!