1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

slow cooked pork

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I was planning on slow roasted pork for dinner tonight, its a Lorraine Pascal recipe and cooks the pork for six hours. The recipe requires a pork shoulder but OH bought a pork loin joint instead, its huge and I plan on cutting it into three joins. Will this work as well as a pork shoulder or should I do something different? If so, any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Sounds fine to me.

Currently have pork in the slow cooker.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of pork hocks with rosemary sprigs atached. Dusted them lightly, popped them in the slow cooker with seasoning, hebs and cider - topped with a bit of boiling watter to start the heat process and found a new recipe to be repeated.

3. The only difference will be that the meat won't have the flaky, moistness of a shoulder as a loin is much leaner.
    Bung it in the oven and forget it for hours, it will be great!

4. Thanks for the replies, pork now in the oven. One more joint in the freezer and two lots chopped up for casserole.

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

quick question

when you say you have pork or a meat joint in the slow cooker.

What do you put with it?
    I heard someone doing a roasted chicken in theres, do you just put it in or do you have to add liquid (or do the oils/fat leak out to make the liquid)?

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I put cider in with pork in the slow cooker.
    When I have done chicken in there I have poached it in water. You don't end up with a crispy skin but the meat comes out lovely and tender and you get stock for soup.
    My general rule with liquid in the slow cooker when I am doing a joint, is to have it coming about half way up the meat.

7. We had this last weekend and it was amazing, accompanied by mash and lots of veg. I cooked the pork in cider and added a few juniper berries to enhance the flavour. I think we'll be having it again next weekend!

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I had a girlfriend some years back who was very keen for a bit of pork inside her. It's probably best that we went our separate ways after a few months as I doubt I'd have the stamina now to satisfy her.

9. !!! [​IMG] he he