1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slow cooked beef stew

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Making a beef stew in my slow cooker. A couple of questions! Firstly, do you brown the meat before it goes in? Secondly, my usual recipe has half a bottle of red wine, but I'm counting the calories, so i'm going to cut that out and up the amount of stock, will this be ok? Any tips for making it tasty without adding too many calories?
    Thanks,
    Becky

2. Hi there,

Making a beef stew in my slow cooker. A couple of questions! Firstly, do you brown the meat before it goes in? Secondly, my usual recipe has half a bottle of red wine, but I'm counting the calories, so i'm going to cut that out and up the amount of stock, will this be ok? Any tips for making it tasty without adding too many calories?
    Thanks,
    Becky

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

A good slug of either mushroom ketchup, anchovy essence or both. Thai fish sauce will do the job in the absence of fanchovy essence. It adds amazing depth to anything meaty. Failing that - a good few shakes of Worcestershire Sauce. Or - if you've none of those - a dessertspoon or so of Marmite!

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't bother browning beef before it goes into the slow cooker. I rarely brown any meat when slow cooking.....sometimes do sausages depending on the type of sausage and what recipe I'm using.

I was going to suggest Guinness with the beef....but I guess that if you are omitting wine because of calories then no beer either!
    Maybe try a good slug of red wine vinegar? Or perhaps some red grape juice?
    Then maybe something to give a bit of ooomph...I don't know what is already in your recipe....but maybe add a big dollop of horsereadish or perhaps some grainy mustard?
    And what about adding dumplings at the end? Big fluffy ones with herbs in, or how about semolina dumplings?

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I take it dumplings have no calories in them Beth?!
    How do you make those?

7. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll play about with it! :)

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ummmm absolutely calorie and fat free!
    Actually, they may have a few, but we need some calories! And they can be instead of potatoes.

Anyway....Semolina Dumplings....
    Ingredients:
    3/4 litre milk
    20g butter
    pinch of salt
    250g semolina
    2 free range eggs

Method:
    Boil the milk, butter and salt in a saucepan.
    Take off the heat.
    Slowly trickle in the semolina stirring all the time. It should form a big lump of dumpling-dough.
    Heat again for a minute or so.
    Transfer warm mass to a bowl, and add the eggs one at a time, stirring until smooth.
    Leave to cool.
    Using damp hands form the mixture into small dumplings.
    Either cook in boiling salted water, or add to stew. (In slow cooker add at the end and turn the cooker onto high). They will rise to the surface when cooked.
    (If you have left over dumplings they taste really good fried with bacon....also really low in calories/fat!!!)