1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sloe Gin

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by scottjw, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Time to start picking? Or a little early?
    Also, has anyone ever tried blackberry brandy?

2. Time to start picking? Or a little early?
    Also, has anyone ever tried blackberry brandy?

3. Bit early for sloes - blackberry brandy.....oh yes! I have two bottles on the go at the moment and as soon as pay day comes will do another two.

4. Do you pick your own, or just buy a couple of punnets?

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We've got loads of sloes. They're not supposed to be picked until after the first frost, but unless you have your own like us, they all get picked before the frost.
    So, my tip is pick them now and freeze them. The freezer acts like the frost!

6. BelleDuJour

I suspect Cosmos was referring to buying the brandy NOT the blackberries!

7. No, not the blackberries! I have picked and frozen, jammed, jellied, pureed, ice creamed, brandied and chutnied over 30lbs of berries so far....and there are so many more to come! Wild berries have a better flavour, I think, than cultivated ones.
    Sloes here aren't yet ready for picking, they still have a bit of growing to do. I shall probably think about picking towards the end of September.

8. BelleDuJour

I was correct!
    *snigger*
    Speaking of drinky poos Mr Belle and I are sharing a chilled bottle of Veuve Cliquot Rose champagne......how very yummy!!!

9. So - sloe gin I can do, will get some later on. Blackberry brandy I can do, will get some of those later, ensuring that I don't leave my keys somewhere in the woods, like I did last time Mars vodka is on the agenda for tomorrow, when I remember to get some Mars bars. What can I do with tequila though?? Sloes again??

10. Far too early for sloes although it is tempting. I usually wait until the end of September beginning of October to pick. For lots of info about sloe and other wild berries go to this message board...loads of great information http://www.sloe.biz/pip/ I have been a member for years lol
    ....We have loads in the garden and I know where there are lots more down a cycle track near me. I usually make a few bottles of sloe gin, have also made sloe vodka and sloe chutney. All very good. I have made blackberry brandy and that is delicious.