1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slipped disc-Crutches

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by han153, May 22, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    Last year I slipped a disc in my back and due to carry lots from room to room it has flared up again and I have been advised to use crutches.
    Im nearing the end of my training and the school have said that I cannot be in school with crutches. I dont want to take any time off and so Im hobbling about without them.
    Does anyone have any advice? I dont want to miss work but need at least one crutch to stand!

2. You're not allowed crutches? Yes you are! Phone the union, and use your regional representative, not the in school one.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

You need to get in touch with your union about this, especially if the initial injury happened in school - it counts as a workplace injury.

4. Thank you for the advice, I've had to take a few days off as I cannot walk unaided. The injury happened at home but I have requested help carrying my books (a trolly) and still havent received anything. I'm ringing my union today however I'm scared of rocking the boat with the school. x

5. Hi
    I have a bulging disk and many other things wrong with my back and I have to use walking sticks to get around. I've been on them for a couple of years now but started on 2 in January. I've not had any issues with work. Could sticks be an alternative?