1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sling advice for newborn/breastfeeding please

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by La Mariposa, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi all, was hoping some of you could help. I'm starting to think ahead to my 2nd baby arriving (I'm 25 weeks pregnant) and want to invest in a carrier/sling to make running around after my toddler (hopefully) easier! I need one I can easily breastfeed in and that's not too much of a faff to get on and off. Oh and the baby's due in May so perhaps I need to consider the weather? I've looked at ring slings (woven or stretchy?) and Moby wraps which both look good but just wondered if anyone had any firsthand experience... Thanks in advance.

2. Hi all, was hoping some of you could help. I'm starting to think ahead to my 2nd baby arriving (I'm 25 weeks pregnant) and want to invest in a carrier/sling to make running around after my toddler (hopefully) easier! I need one I can easily breastfeed in and that's not too much of a faff to get on and off. Oh and the baby's due in May so perhaps I need to consider the weather? I've looked at ring slings (woven or stretchy?) and Moby wraps which both look good but just wondered if anyone had any firsthand experience... Thanks in advance.

3. You can't go wrong with a stretchy wrap like a Moby with a newborn IMO. Breastfeeding in any type of sling can be a challenge, especially with a newborn who requires your help with their head control. As they get older you'll probably find it a bit easier, but if you focus on finding a sling that you find comfortable to wear and carry in, that'd be a good place to start. Whichever one you buy, ensure it holds baby in a seated position, not dangling like most of the high-street carriers [​IMG] There will probably be a sling meet near you somewhere if you want to pop along and try some out?

4. Thanks bunique for the advice. Appreciate your thoughts. Yes it makes sense that breastfeeding a really young baby in a sling could be tricky. I think i've forgotten how difficult position and latch is at first! I'll definitely have a look for a local sling meet. Any idea how I can go about finding one? I think the Moby looks like it takes more practice than a ring sling but they do look very nice and secure for a small baby...hmmm do think i need to try some out... Thanks again.

5. The Moby has a slightly steeper learning curve than a ring sling, but actually once you've mastered tying it it's very straightforward and should be less fiddly to adjust than a ring sling. It's definitely worth having a real life play with a few though!

There is a sling meet website www.slingmeet.co.uk which should list local meets to you, and also Natural Mamas website and forum which has different regional sections with local sling events. If you're struggling to find one, PM me your rough location and I'll see what I can find :)

6. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

These forums are brilliant. Have you also considered looking at www.ukslinglibraries.co.uk and seeing if you can find a sling library. Or a babywearing consultant www.babi.me.uk who could help you. I would suggest the moby is easier to learn than a ring sling (I'm a bw'ing consultant) as it can be difficult to get the rings in right place. Also safety wise feeding in a sling, although possible, is not the safest so don't leave in cradle position too long. Most babies can feed in the upright position (physiological nursing).

7. Hi, thanks for the advice and the links. I've manged to find a library not far away and have emailed the consultant. I'm thinking now that a wrap (Moby) would be my best bet but am keen to try before I buy! They're not cheap are they!! I had a basic demo in a shop recently of a ring sling and a wrap and am not sure a ring sling is going to be secure enough for running around after my toddler. I really liked the way baby is firmly strapped to you with a wrap. Another thing I've heard recently (admittedly from a shop owner who only sells wraps) is that ring slings have had some bad press in terms of safety....She suggested that ring slings can put a very young baby in a potentially fatal position if left there too long.... Not sure if there is any evidence to back this up or not.... Anyone know?

8. Personally I found a ring sling excellent for my 2nd baby. I did use both a ring sling and a wrap (amongst others - I run a Sling Meet) but as you are having a summer baby you may find a stretchy wrap quite warm.
    I have never used the cradle hold as I have never felt comfortable having my babies in that position, and I expect this is what the shop keeper was talking about. It is easy to position a newborn upright in a ring sling but as others have suggested it would be good to get to a local meet so that you can see it in action.
    Also feeding in an upright position is definitely possible.
    Good luck and maybe also check out Natural Mamas :)

9. Thanks blademaid for your advice. I definitely need to try some out. But after the baby's born I guess, so I can try him/her in it during a feed.

10. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

glad to know you are sorted. Can you tell me the name of the consultant? I might now them? Also is it SOB or Trageschule?

11. Have PM'd you.
    Not sure what this means....?

12. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

SOB = School of Babywearing and Trageschule are two uk babywearing schools