1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slimming for Summer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by hubcap, Mar 10, 2012.

1. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Anyone want to join me. I would like to lose 3 stone. I am starting today. It always feels better when you can share your progress with somone. This is how I have done today;
    Breakfast/lunch; porridge (made with water) with fruit ,coffee
    planning on;
    Tea; ultra thin pizza, 1 slice garlic bread
    snack; apple
    Going for an hours walk

2. Definitely. I'm aiming to lose one stone. I'm presently 10 stone 10 pounds.
    I'm writing today off - but I'll be back! [​IMG]

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Hello Hubcap! Nice to see you again, haven't seen you around for a while (or maybe you've been about but on threads I've not looked at?)
    I'd like to get in shape for summer, especially since I'm determined to have a summer holiday this year. I lost about a stone ahead of my wedding back in December, but it's crept back on since then, particularly owing to injury and not being able to continue to running training I'd been doing.
    I'm still getting to the gym regularly though, but the winter blues have meant my husband and I spend far too many cosy nights in cooking up a storm and stuffing our faces.
    I'm determind to get back on track by following the Paul McKenna method (which isn't for everyone, but it works for me if I set my mind to it).
    So far today, I've had a veggie sausage butty for breakfast, and just had a mug of home-made leek and potato soup as a late lunch. Been out for a walk around the local wilderness for about 45minutes, followed by a trip to the gym for some weights/resistance work. Dinner tonight is going to be a mexican chicken creation.
    I don't know how you can stomach porridge made with water! Major props for willpower. I have mine most mornings with milk, and I use the excuse of getting my calcium fix for the day.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Hupcap and Eva - 2 of the original slimming girls! Nice to see you both! And Eva, I didn't know you'd got married - congrats!
    I'll join you with the slimming for Summer. I've lost just over 2 stone since July after baby no. 2 and have about a stone to go until I'm happy. Ideally i'd like to lose 2 - 2.5.
    Today i had porridge (half milk, half water) for breakfast, a small bowl of leftover home-made spag bol for lunch, and poached egg and beans on toast for dinner. I've had a pear and a rice cake for snacks. A lazy day with meals! I'm not feeling 100% today so i gave the gym a miss, but I have been for a walk and taken my kids to the beach, and also trecked up and down the stairs several times (we live in a 2nd floor flat) with a load of **** we need to take to the tip tomorrow. It's now safely in my car!
    I've been logging all my meals and exercise on My Fitness Pal online. It's helpful to have an online food diary, and good to know that I always have my full quota of protein, but am usually lower on fat and carbs.
    I've got 3 personal training sessions booked for this week so i hope the cold that's threatening to come out goes away. I'm a bridesmaid 4 weeks today so really need to train hard to lose a couple more cm off my waist/hips.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hello Eva, I have still been around. Nice that you are going to join me! Unfortunatley I have had a blip already! Had some maltesers and a glaa of wine! oops! I think it will take a couple of days to get my head in the right place, but I am determined!

6. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi Chica!

7. fantastischfish

If you haven't already, try Vick's First Defence. It's a nasal spray that is great for keeping a cold at bay. You have to catch it in the early stage though and make sure you use the spray regularly for a few days. I usually use it at the first signs of a sniffle for 2-3 days every 4 hours or so.
    Aye, we kept it very quiet indeed, even in 'real life' ha ha! Didn't tell anyone until literally the day before. We were married on Christmas Eve at our local church, then we skipped the sit down reception and just had a big party on Christmas eve (well, I say 'big', it wasn't extravagent).
    Neither of us enjoy the biss fuss of weddings and we really didn't want friends and family going to loads of expense, as we had done in the past for friends' weddings. We just wanted people there, not worrying about buying a new outfit, bar costs, present buying etc....so we didn't give anyone the chance to fret in advance lol!

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I haven't actually. It's probably too late to use it now? I've got a sore throat and a slight runny nose now. My kids had conjunctivitis this week and they're a bit snotty, so it's probably something they've passed on.
    That's lovely! An xmas wedding too, very nice. The wedding i'm bridesmaid for is in Provence, so a bit more extravagant! Luckily my husband works for the railway so train travel is massively reduced abroad, or we wouldn't be able to go.
    So, do i attempt to go to the gym later feeling a bit rough, or will it do me more harm than good?

9. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Well, given myself a good talking too this morning and am determined to change my ways.
    So here is todays plan;
    Breakfast; porridge with raisins coffee
    Dinner; 2 boiled eggs, 2 sausages, Apple
    Tea; Turkey, roast potatoes (dry baked in the oven) vegetables
    Walk with dog- three quarters hour, ironing

10. fantastischfish

Hmmmm, it's a tricky one. It depends whether it IS just as simple as a cold or the beginning of something nasty.
    On the one hand, sometimes it's good to go and sweat it out (although I normally ignore the gym for the worst part of a cold and go and sweat out the very last bit as it's on it's way out).
    On the other hand, if you've got a sore throat and the sniffles, it sounds like it's just the beginnings of it, and therefore it might be wiser to stay at home and rest, giving your body all the energy it needs to get better.
    So, in short, I haven't answered your question!
    Might still be worth a try if you nip out and buy it ASAP. If you've got a supermarket nearby, they usually sell it. It's about £5 I think, but it's really worth it. It works by killing off the cold virus that lives in the back of your nose. Could shorten the cold for you, or perhaps stop is developing as badly as it might normally.
    As for me, I'm off to the gym quite shortly as I'm going to the pub to watch the match which kicks off at 12.15pm, so just enough time for a quick workout (I only tend to do about 40 minutes cardio on a cardio day) then shower and get to the pub.
    Loving that I'm on a course tomorrow, so lesson planning can wait til Monday night for a change and I can afford to have a Sunday off. Hurrah!

11. fantastischfish

That sounds good, Hubcap, but I still think that, since you've been so low on calories, I would have to have my porridge with milk ha ha! Seriously....willpower woman, that's you!
    I've listened to my Paul Mckenna hypnosis track this morning and have just eaten breakfast of porridge (with milk) and some strawberries. Lunch, after the match, will be roast chicken, boiled potatoes, various vegetables and gravy. Later tonight when we're peckish we'll probably have something like tea and toast.
    I know this PM thing works for me; the only reason it stops working is when I get busy and let good habits slip away. So, back on it! Here we go!

12. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hmmm... know the feeling Eva! I can easily forget when Im busy and before I know it, Ive eaten a small bar of chocolate! Paul Mckenna is good and it does work when you eat slowly, that is when you feel the full button. In the past when I have decided to eat healthier it hasnt worked because I have been in the wrong frame of mind. I have said it because I thought I should because thats what you are supposed to do. However I can feel the differance when I decide to do it as a gift to myself- if that makes sense!!

13. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Count me in!
    Need to lose about 2 stone really- more probably but I am not 25 anymore and would be very happy to be a curvy size12 or a size 14 rather than the 16 that I am at the moment. At 11stone I would be a good size 12 I reckon.
    Run Fat *** Run - read it on the Kindle- has inspired me to get off my fat *** but yesterday 3 people said hello to me when I was sweating and panting (and looking like I might die) and because I had non-presciption sunglasses on I have no idea who they were! Embaressing.
    Good luck
    Will attempt THREE periods of exercise this week.
    Liz

14. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Ha ha ha, you made me laugh out loud Liz! Good luck!
    I am sat here filling my mind with images of a slim me- a loose 14 or 12 will do. I have lots of nice clothes but unfortunatley I am starting to bulge out of them! I have been reading a book on kindle from the free list 'lose 10lbs in 2 week'. A good read,

15. fantastischfish

Size 12 does seem to be the Holy Grail for us on this thread doesn't it? I can get away with a 12 on top, but sometimes my boobs need a bit of extra room, in which case I have to get a 14 although it's usually too baggy.
    It's on the bottom I have trouble: I technically have the dimensions of a size 14, but as you know high street clothing isn't cut in the right shape for us curvier girls. But I find that if I buy from the likes of Simply Be and Bravissimo, which are aimed at 'Plus Sizes' then they fit a lot more nicely as they are cut more generously in the places I need them.....and they have a WAIST, which so many clothes these days lack. I NEED a waist or else I just look an awful shape, but so many items forget that women usually go in at the waist then back out again. So items (especially in Next, which is my nemesis) are too tight on my boobs, massive on the waist, then too tight again on the hips. Has 'apple' become the new 'pear' do you think?

16. Oh yes! And Next are soooooooo haphazard. Their outlet 'specials' are a different size and shape from the normal range - but not consistently! I have 3 lovely pairs of trousers that fit at hip and waist (never ever happens) but they are wearing thin and now the same range is scarily tight at the hips, bum and crotch!
    So I'm in, not saying how much in stones or pounds but I too am aiming for a size 12ish, maybe 14 to fit the curves!

17. fantastischfish

Despite debate elsewhere on this forum to the contrary, I'm convinced sizes are getting smaller; or else, they are just not cut in the same shape as they used to be. I have a pair of size 12 jeans from warehouse that fit my perfectly and I've been wearing them for years. I doubt I could get a size 12 over my knees now. I tend to have to buy a size 16 on the high street in trousers. Which is fine, except for the fact that most size 16s seem to expect me to have large stomach, which I don't (being fairly toned in the torso and upper body) so I have the equivalent of a pouch down which I could fit a baby kangaroo. Soooooo not a good look.
    Yet a 14 won't fasten because my ACTUAL waist is about 4 inches higher than that the waist band. I'm not saying I want my jeans to rest on my waist in a lovely 80s style, but I want them to acknowledge that if the jeans are sitting closer to my hips, the waistband needs to be bigger to accommodate!

18. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Just to add a banana to my day. Now its past 6pm, no food till breakfast! - wish me luck!!!

19. CAn I join if I'm trying Cambridge - or are y'all going to kick me out and tell me to eat proper food?

20. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Everyones welcome! I started this thread for support, not to lecture anyone on what they should, shouldnt eat, so if it works for you good luck! Post your difficult times or successes and we can all help or celebrate!