1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slimming clubs

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by kritur, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Just wanted a few opinions from people who have done WW/SW/Rosemary Connelly etc. My friend and I are thinking of starting a community slimming group, not affiliated with any diet plan. We figure that most people know how to eat well and what people get out of attending a club is the moral support and someone checking up on them. I have been a member of WW and SW so have a good idea how these things work and my friend who will work with me is a PE teacher and fitness instructor so is thinking of offering an exercise class alongside. We want to make it a cheaper alternative than WW/SW etc.
    What does everyone think?
    We're not thinking we'll make a stack of money out of it by the way.

2. Hi all,
    Just wanted a few opinions from people who have done WW/SW/Rosemary Connelly etc. My friend and I are thinking of starting a community slimming group, not affiliated with any diet plan. We figure that most people know how to eat well and what people get out of attending a club is the moral support and someone checking up on them. I have been a member of WW and SW so have a good idea how these things work and my friend who will work with me is a PE teacher and fitness instructor so is thinking of offering an exercise class alongside. We want to make it a cheaper alternative than WW/SW etc.
    What does everyone think?
    We're not thinking we'll make a stack of money out of it by the way.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

What I find most useful in terms of my WW membership, is their points system and being able to track what I eat online.
    Without that very clear structure I don't think I would have benefited. It may be different for other people.

4. Do you have any sort of nutritional training?
    Personally I can't see it having that much appeal compared to the big companies. There are very clear set structures and an abundance of support and information additionally available.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'd have thought that the public liability insurance (or whatever it's called) would be a bit of a quagmire for your friend.

6. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

I think that you need to consider what the benefits would be for people joining your club and paying money?
    - I'm not sure that most people already know how to eat to lose weight -most people join slimming clubs for access to the eating plan, adapted recipes and lists of points/calories in restaurant food etc
    - there are many free resources available for moral support for people who want to lose weight such as bloggs and message boards - even Weight Watcher's forums are available to anyone for free
    - some GP surgeries offer weightloss groups

So what is it that you are offering that would make it worthwhile paying money?
    How would you vet potential members to avoid liability?

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Go for it Kritur! If you were near me I'd join your class. I already go to a keep fit/Yoga class run by a local instructor who has completed the appropriate fitness qualifications. If she did a weigh-in, I'd be delighted!
    Maybe Kritur is in a rural area where there is little access to SW, WW or RC?

8. I'm still wondering how they are going to get the nutritional qualifications, plus the insurance, the specific h&s training and pay all the venue hire whilst only charging people a minimal amount!

9. The council's insurance won't cover his/her private business (non-profit service), so s/he'd still have to get a personal one - but this is not so difficult, insurance brokers will get anyone insurance even if they have no qualifications.
    The bigger problem is that WW and SW + a few smaller companies own the market and why would anyone join a no-name small club when they can join WW which has thousands of own products, online services etc.