1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slightly embarrassing problem - to tell school or not?!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lucyrose50, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I have a whole host of (luckily fairly minor) health issues, but one of them is causing me some problems at the moment. I have fibroids, which are basically growths around the uterus area. A lot of women have them and don't even realise because they don't cause them any problems - mine were first spotted about 10 years ago and they've never been an issue until the last few weeks when I've been getting more and more abdominal pain and a problem with needing the loo all the time. I've been to my GP who is fairly sure the fibroids are to blame and that one of them is pressing on my bladder. I'm waiting for an appointment for a scan to see what's going on and then I'd have to wait for a referral to gynaecology before we can even begin to do anything about them (possible scenario is having to have surgery at some stage). It has all got steadily worse since I saw my GP last week so I went again today and she said she'd try to speed up the wait for the scan, but otherwise there's nothing they can do for the moment.
    I am in some pain, but it's random twinges & pains and discomfort rather than constant pain, but the problem with needing the toilet is starting to be a real issue because as a teacher I obviously can't just leave my class to go to the loo whenever I feel like it! I'm managing at the moment by dashing to the loo at break & lunchtime and not really drinking anything during the day, but that's obviously not an ideal solution, and the problem does seem to be getting worse and worse so I'm worried it's going to get to the point where I can't wait for break. I'm not really sure what to do about it, because I'm certainly not feeling unwell enough to be off sick (plus we already have 2 of the department on long term sick & one on maternity leave!) but it could be a good long while before anything gets done about this and I'm not sure how to manage at school. I don't really know if there's any point talking to anyone at school about it because I don't see what they could do to help! Any advice?!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You must speak to someone. Fibroids in themselves are not embarrassing.........I guess you are embarrassedtalking about needing to wee all the time? Seriously though, you really must tell someone.

3. I think you should tell them. They might be a bit put-out if you 'turn around' and announce you need time off for hospital appointments, possibly even surgery, when they didn't even know anything was wrong.
    Also, not drinking through the day is not a solution! Personally, I need regular, strong infusions of caffeine to keep perky and sips of water to prevent sore throat and dehydration headache. I think most teachers are the same!
    Are you primary or secondary? If primary, you'll most likely have a TA or an LSA around who could supervise for 2mins. Is this allowed? I think it's fine. I'm signed off at the mo and my class is being covered by a peripatetic music teacher, a learning mentor (and a qualified teacher 2 afternoons per week). And wet lunchtimes: it's LSAs who supervise the children in classrooms. So I can't see how this is a problem. I guess also be sneaky. I have really heavy periods (sorry!) and there's no way I could make it until playtime - assembly is a good time to sneak out for a minute and dash to the loo. If you're secondary, surely there are LSAs and cover supervisors about. I worked as an LSA in a high school when I held QTS - I suspect lots of people do while they look for their first teaching gig. I was sometimes left to cover classes - for whole lessons, I mean - no problems. I was delighted to get to use a Teacher Voice. But if ya don't ask, you're not going to get!
    So I think: impress upon them that you don't feel unwell enough to be off sick, you want to keep working, etc. ...Hopefully they will be so keen to keep it this way that they can think of some minor adjustments they could make so you don't have to dehydrate yourself in order to stay at work. Hope everything works out xx

4. Next time its really bad go to A&E. They will scan you to identify cause of the problem. And whallah one less thing to wait for. They'll also write to your GP with the results and telling them to then refer you to gynae.

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

???

6. clermontfed

clermontfed Occasional commenter

Also spelt "voila"!

7. 'Voila' is the least of that post's problems. Urrrm... You can't just turn up at A&E because you don't see why YOU should have to wait for a GP appointment like everybody else. It's for people whose illnesses and injuries are too serious to be treated at home, by the GP or by the Walk-In Centre, not for people with entitlement complexes to jump the queue to a referral. Imagine if everybody did this. Goodness me, what an attitude! [​IMG]

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree with Lilybett, that is not what A&E is for.
    I had the same problem identified through the Family Planning Clinic, as it happens, because I thought it was a problem with my coil. I know what the OP means about needing the loo all the time, I felt like I was 6 months pregnant. In fact, when I saw the consultant he put his hands on my abdomen and said "My God are you sure you're not pregnant?". Then he opened his diary and we set a date for my hysterectomy. I've never looked back