1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slightly concerned over NQT

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by TheNqt201731, May 25, 2017.

1. TheNqt201731

TheNqt201731 New commenter

Hello there

I'm qualified as a teacher in January and started to do supply work straight away. I was called to one school in particular and found myself covering my own subject most days a week. The teacher that I was covering then went on to maternity leave and the school let me take over from her. while she is off. I work in a small department of 3 and the Head for my subject is supportive. I officially started my NQT after the Easter holidays. My main concern is that I feel I don't still have enough responsibility yet. The year 11th and 10th year have finished there Btec course. So the year 11th only come in to revise for different subjects. The year 10th have finished for the year and I have been asked not to start the new unit until September. So I am just filling the gap by extending the unit they have already done.

My year 13th have finished and when they do come my mentor has said he wants to mark their work, so that is just a free period for me. I share my year 12 class with a more experienced teacher who just tells me what to do with them the day before. I have found myself with a lot of periods. My subject does not require me to teach key stage 3. I have been told that it is normal for things to be quiet round about this time. Am I just overthinking things and things will pick up in September? As in September I will have my own year 10 and 11 classes from the start. I just hope that my development does not get effected

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  2. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

This time of year IS quiet. Could you use the time to do more observations in other departments around school? Alternatively, is there planning you can start doing now in preparation for September?

3. ash719

ash719 New commenter

With exams going on and finishing students will either be leaving or revising so it is very normal for it to go quiet. Also there will be less focus on non-examined classes such as year 10 groups. All the focus will be on exam classes such as year 11, AS, A level. So it all sounds like usual situation and nothing to worry about.
    It might be worth looking at your time table for the coming year and start planning your schemes and lessons. Also look at your standards and targets for your NQT requirements and plan how you can meet them. This quiet time might be very useful in having a chat here and there with other teachers as they might not have the time come September.

4. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Enjoy the down time :) September will be hectic!

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

With the year 10's it might just be that they want to wait and start the next stuff in the new school year so only one person is involved. I've seen the chaos that can happen with BTEC courses when you end up with staff changes, although in this instance it was a lot of staff changes.

6. TheNqt201731

TheNqt201731 New commenter

Many thanks for all your responses. I do tend to overthink things. Hope everyone is enjoying half term