1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slightly concerned about induction might be overthinking

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by TheNqt201731, May 24, 2017.

1. TheNqt201731

TheNqt201731 New commenter

Hello there

I qualified as a teacher in January and started to do supply work straight away. I was called to one school in particular and found myself covering my own subject most days a week. The teacher that I was covering then went on to maternity leave and the school let me take over from her. while she is off. I work in a small department of 3 and the Head for my subject is supportive. I officially started my NQT after the Easter holidays. My main concern is that I feel I don't still have enough responsibility yet. The year 11s and year 10s have finished there Btec course. So the year 11s only come in to revise for different subjects. The year 10s have finished for the year and I have been asked not to start the new unit until September. So I am just filling the gap by extending the unit they have already done.

My year 13s have finished and when they do come my mentor has said he wants to mark there, so that is just a free period for me. I share my year 12 class with a more experienced teacher who just tells me what to do with them the day before. I have found myself with a lot of periods. My subject does not require me to teach key stage 3. I have been told that it is normal for things to be quite round about this time. Am I just overthinking things and things will pick up in September? As in September I will have my own year 10 and 11 classes from the start. I just hope that my development does not get effected.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you are lucky enough to sit around at this time of year then you should probably enjoy it!

You might want to post your question in the thread for your subject, because lots of people who see your post in the 'new teachers' thread might not have experience of only teaching KS4/5, so cannot really give advice on your situation.

Can you try to get a head start on preparing for September? As you'll be starting with your new classes in September it will feel different - you'll have to set the routines and expectations yourself.

If I were you I'd be a bit concerned about the Y12 teacher who tells you what to do the day before - you're a qualified teacher, so they shouldn't be doing that, and you need to be able to plan a course of Y12 lessons yourself. They might be a control freak, but if you're going to share classes with them next year you'll have to come up with a way of working with them that avoids that issue - for example each teaching different topics.

3. exploration

exploration New commenter

Not to sound critical, but as a teacher, you need to get the difference between 'there, their, they're' and 'quiet, quite' correct.