1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slight panic :S

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by modgepodge, Dec 7, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

So, i've been lucky enough to secure a post to start NQT year in January :)
    Obviously, this is great news and I know lots of people have not been this lucky, but now I'm starting to panic....
    I know how to plan week-on-week, or if given a specific learning objective. But one thing my PGCE did not prepare me for was long or medium term planning. These have kind of already been done by the other teachers (the one I'm replacing and the partner one - 2 form entry) but I obviously want to feel like I can contribute and I just feel a bit out my depth. I know I can teach fine but it's all the behind the scenes stuff I worry about!
    We had an APP meeting after school today - I think I kind of understand writing APP, but although I've seen maths APP used in 2 different schools I have no idea how to do it :S And have never seen reading APP. Also, my other schools did all kids in the school on the grid....this school just does 6 kids per class, and I don't quite understand how this works, who you choose or why, or what the point is?!
    Also, the teacher I'm replacing said that in January I need to spend time doing "what I would have done in September" to ensure they are "my" class and the kids know that! Problem is.....I don't know what I would have done?! any suggestions?
    They are Year 1 and I'm lucky that they are a) lovely, b) no statements, only a couple on SA an SA+ c) only one EAL and he's pretty good. My Year 1 experience however was in May-July and before that I was all KS2 so I'm feeling a bit confused by what to expect of them, how to set up play based activities which help them learn etc.
    Any advise about ANYTHING welcome!!

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

So, i've been lucky enough to secure a post to start NQT year in January :)
    Obviously, this is great news and I know lots of people have not been this lucky, but now I'm starting to panic....
    I know how to plan week-on-week, or if given a specific learning objective. But one thing my PGCE did not prepare me for was long or medium term planning. These have kind of already been done by the other teachers (the one I'm replacing and the partner one - 2 form entry) but I obviously want to feel like I can contribute and I just feel a bit out my depth. I know I can teach fine but it's all the behind the scenes stuff I worry about!
    We had an APP meeting after school today - I think I kind of understand writing APP, but although I've seen maths APP used in 2 different schools I have no idea how to do it :S And have never seen reading APP. Also, my other schools did all kids in the school on the grid....this school just does 6 kids per class, and I don't quite understand how this works, who you choose or why, or what the point is?!
    Also, the teacher I'm replacing said that in January I need to spend time doing "what I would have done in September" to ensure they are "my" class and the kids know that! Problem is.....I don't know what I would have done?! any suggestions?
    They are Year 1 and I'm lucky that they are a) lovely, b) no statements, only a couple on SA an SA+ c) only one EAL and he's pretty good. My Year 1 experience however was in May-July and before that I was all KS2 so I'm feeling a bit confused by what to expect of them, how to set up play based activities which help them learn etc.
    Any advise about ANYTHING welcome!!

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

...as in - the standards you expect, behaviour, atmosphere, routines. They will need 're-training' to your expectations. Don't let them show you the ropes -establish how you want it to be from the outset.
    Well done on your appointment!

4. saira123

saira123 New commenter

Hi
    Everything you've posted is completely normal for an nqt. No one is expecting you to know everything all at once. I started in September feeling just like you but gradually (and hopefully with support of more experianced teachers/mentors) you'll get to know more and learn how to do all of these things. Your right-every school does things differently so you will learn how your schools does MTP/APP.
    My best advise would be- get to know children/staff and how things work in the school. Take everything else as it comes. You cant learn or know everything at once and no one will be expecting you to.
    I know it can feel daunting Ive always tried to remember that its okay to make mistakes and beig a good teacher takes time and experience.

Good luck

5. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

Hi modgepodge
    I'm afraid I don't have advice to offer but I would like to try and make you feel a bit better by saying I'm in the same situation and worrying about the same things, so you're by no means alone! I qualified in summer and have just been offered a job starting in January. It is reception in a one-form-entry school so I'm seriously scared!
    We will work it out... just think how clueless and scared you probably were at the start of your training (I definitely was!) and how much better you felt by the end of the year!