1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sleepless nights

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Nina10, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Nina10

Nina10 New commenter

Term 3 as an NQT about to start and here go the sleepless nights. Is this normal?! I’m passing induction so far and no major issues...yet, so why am I anxious all the time? Even during holidays there is a nagging feeling that I’m about to fail which won’t go away. Seriously thinking of getting through NQT year and calling it a day...my old job didn’t make me feel like this.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

HI Nina10

Firstly, well done for getting through to term 3 - you are on the last stretch now.

Many people feel like you do because of the constant pressure of being held accountable and also the observations and scrutiny; and It is not unusual for people to leave teaching fairly shortly after qualifying, so you are not alone in that respect.

Some people are able to teach abroad where in some cases, although not all, the working conditions are better.

Don't worry about too far into the future for now: concentrate on finishing your NQT year by taking one day at a time and doing your best. Enjoy the fact that you only have one term to go and if you take one day at a time then you might not feel so anxious.

You can decide what you are going to do regarding teaching a bit later into the future.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Congratulations on having made it this far! Summer is coming, the days are getting longer and you have the long holidays not too far away now.

I recognise the feelings of constant anxiety you describe BUT I found these in some jobs, not in others. If you find a school that's right for you, where you feel adequately supported and valued, the anxiety will be greatly lessened. I know that finding the right school is easier said than done , but it can be done. In the end, it's you who will have to decide whether to give teaching another go or whether to return to something which is, by nature, less stressful.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. Nina10

Nina10 New commenter

Thank you, one day at a time :) will give it a go x

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

I feel the same way. Keep going. This half term is really short so just get to May half term.