1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sleeping through the night

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by starcommand, Jan 13, 2011.

1. When should LO start sleeping through the night. At the moment we get 3-4 hours before she wakes for a feed after last feed 11 - 12. Is there anything I should be doing to help her sleep longer? In the day she sleeps as and when she wants at the moment, mostly in the afternoon as we get up quite late in the morning. She is 7 weeks.

2. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

Every child is different and will do it at different ages. Count your blessings that is sleeping for 3-4 hours my little one has never slept for more that two hours but normally wakes every 45 mins is eight and a half months now. Everyone said to me when he is on solids will sleep longer-that never happened. Then everyone said when he gets more active/start crawling etc will sleep longer-that did not happen either so every night I go to bed and think is tonight going to be the night-not sure if it will ever happen.
    Give it time your LO is still so young-will go for longer stretches when she is ready.

3. My LO slept through at 8 weeks, now he is nearly 5 months and wakes at least once a night, if not twice. I find once you get a good thing going it usually changes for the worse!

4. All babies are different, but my LO didn't sleep through until almost 6 months! I went back to work when he was 4 months, so that was a killer. He is a big baby, though, so needs some filling to get him to sleep through. At nearly one, we are still having to dream feed, despite the three meals a day.
    Could you try upping each feed by an ounce? Or giving cluster feeds close to bed time? None of these worked for me, but worth a try?

5. [​IMG]
    It will. x

6. This is exactly what happened to me. I hate to be the bearer of disappointing news but my LO still doesn't sleep through and he is 16 months. However, he has always been a poor sleeper, despite having a very consistent routine at bedtime he is very unpredictable and will sleep from 3 - 10 hours in a stretch. Your LO is still so young - think about how often you have a drink or eat something throughout the day babies have no concept of night and day and need food very frequently.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son is nearly 19 months and he still sometimes wakes up in the night for milk! Not every night fortunately, he probably sleeps through about 4 nights out of 7. He's a very poor eater though, but incredibly active, so gets hungry in the night.
    He was never a particularly good sleeper, and i've found that once he starts to get into a good routine something happens, like illness, or teething, and we're back to square one!

8. My 7 week old was sleeping 8-10 hours... Now we're back to 5! Hey ho...

9. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

This is on my mind today too- thanks to my Mum ( whom I love dearly) apparently I was sleeping through at 6 weeks (34 and 1/2 years ago) and is wondering why my little angel isn't. There are huge differences in the two cases I was bottle fed and on baby rice or farex?!? from an early age. My angel is exclusively breastfed, I'm getting a bit of pressure to put her on baby rice- she 12 and a half weeks! I'm happy to continue as I am it's reassuring to know others are having similar worries.

10. It's really difficult isn't it when people who had babies years ago try and impose their ideas on you even if they are your mum. I'm lucky that my mum has been great in just letting me do my own thing but I have had other older women tell me I should be doing this and that including putting my LO on baby rice. You should really continue as you are and be happy. My LO is 12 weeks now and has started going longer at night but still needs some milk, but she is a lot more predictable and I get a lot more sleep than I did 6 weeks ago. They are still so little it would be a shame to try and push their tummies in directions they can't go. And well done on the breastfeeding, it totally didn't work for me so I would keep going as long as possible if I were you. :)

11. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Apologies for my lack of punctuation my post, it's shocking!! Breastfeeding certainly doesn't work for everyone, I've been lucky this time.

12. I've read that anything over 5 hours is classed as sleeping through [​IMG] It can be really disheartening when you compare your situation to others, but fortunatley all babies are different. My LO is a haphazard sleeper and goes from 2hr to 7hr stretches, no two nights the same, even though his routine is! He is 12 weeks.

13. moose fairy, just to throw in a different type of response so you don't become too disheartened....! It IS possible that a baby can sleep through the night from a young age. My LO did and still does at 8 months old. He started sleeping longer stretches (4, 5 or 6 hours) by about 8 weeks, and was sleeping 'through' from 7 til 7 (with a dreamfeed from the age of 12 weeks). He's breastfed by the way. Things to try are; a calm, quiet, dimly-lit bedtime routine, same time every night, more of a structured daytime routine (naps and feeds), a dreamfeed, own room, swaddle blanket and getting her up every morning at the same time (7 has always worked for us). How long is she sleeping in the day? Naps are crucial but obviously you shouldn't let them sleep too long in the day as it disturbs night sleep (as it would with any person!). HTH