1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping question

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by AnnAngel, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hello,

My baby is now 11 weeks old. She's still falling asleep after most feeds and is always asleep after her last feed. She's bottle fed (not sure if this makes a difference to my question). My question is should I be waking her to put her down asleep so she learns to settle herself? I asked my health visitor and she said no. I really don't want to wake her when she's asleep it seems so cruel but will this cause problems later on. Occasionally when we put her own she wakes and makes noises for a while then goes off to sleep so she must be able to kind of settle herself,. Just wondered what others are doing.

Also how long have you all kept babies in your room for?

Axxx

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If she settles herself again after waking I don't think you need worry - it sounds as if she's not dependent on the bottle to get off to sleep.

3. Hi Ann,
    Hope you are doing ok. Those first few weeks are so tiring . Big hug to you!
    I am no expert but my personal feeling is that being able to self soothe is really great later on but that i wouldn't worry about it for a while yet.
    Our little girl has just moved into her own room -at 6 1/2 months. I was keen to follow SIDS guidance partic as she had a low birthweight which can be a factor in cot death. Guidance is to keep baby in your room for 6 months. I have found I am sleeping so much better myself now but I still would do the same again despite this knowledge!!

4. Thanks ladies. Think I just needed reassuring that I'm not setting myself up fir a hard time of it later. Shea sleeping really well at the moment. She does 6-7 hours, occasionally 8-9 then wakes at 3ish for a feed then does another 2-3 hours. Another reason I don't want to disturb things.

Hope you're doing well Ladymarm? I've been very reflective and thankful this Christmas. Time has flown by. X