1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping in the staffroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gosny, Jun 7, 2011.

1. As I only got a couple of hours sleep I thought I'd try and elicit other peoples opinions in order to stop myself dropping off! I'm inclined to think that it's ok as long as you don't snore, dribble, talk in your sleep [​IMG]

2. which would be deserved!

anyway, from having been at a teachers' conference today and seeing the behaviour of some of my colleagues, sleeping would have been infinitely more polite.

Staffroom - anything goes ;)

3. Are we talking about a ten-minute sitting-up nap here or a four-chair horizontal coma? I have seen members of staff use their free lesson in the latter manner and it did not raise them in my esteem. Sleep in private at home.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

A staffroom is a communal room so why cant it be used for sleeping......anyway in my experience the few folk yu see instaff rooms are TA's...and usualy the chairs are awful....you rrear gets sore sittingn on them,klet alone sleeping!

5. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

One of ours power naps at every possible opportunity - break time, lunch time, staff meetings and assemblies. I presume she stays awake in the classroom.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

even that is hard to do sometimes lol...not sleep in the classrooms

7. How old is she? Retiring at the end of term - so possibly 60, 62? just you wait - not being personal, 1495 - until you young folks have to work until your're 68 plus. You'll be lucky to wake up after your staff meeting snooze!! I do not envy you one bit. Kinsa, aged 61 and a quarter.

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I would, if the seats were comfier and the lunch hour was an hour (or more!!). Especially since I can sleep like a log in the holidays, and the moment it's back to work....the night just seems to have so many waking hours in it these days...

9. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I often like 10 minutes of 'shut eye' (not necessarily nodding off completely) in the early afternoon. I work on supply and would never have a nap in the staffroom. I once went off to the toilets in a new school, sat on the loo (with the l did down on the seat ) and closed my eyes.
    I didn't know that the lights were motion activated and when I woke up I was in complete darkness (no windows!) and no idea where the door was or why all the lights had failed. I fumbled my way out of the cubicle and was so relieved when my activity then triggered the lights again!

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Big chorltes!
    I often fall into a sleepy pocket after lunch. Nice little bit of silent reading, children, I'll just rest me eyes for a mo...don't worry that I'm nodding in an uncontrollable fashion...

11. The teacher (also the Head) in a class I was on teaching practice in did indeed fall asleep on more than one occasion when I was teaching in his class.
    I was reassured by others at the school that it was not a reflection on my teaching. He was days from retirement due to ill health and the comfiest chair in school was in his room. And the kids didn't bat an eyelid, which reinforced that it happened on more than one occasion.

12. My teaching practice mentor regularly used the school medical room for catching up on a bit of shuteye while I was taking the class!

13. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

It was me who originally posted that and I wasn't being disrespectful! I'm sure our NQT thinks of me as a golden oldie. And I'd agree with her! I'm 44 and struggle to keep my eyes open during a staff meeting and would love to have a snooze! Year 1 wear me out!!

14. Sorry, I didn't read it as being disrespectful. I haven't any winky things! I was just imagining how knackered future teachers well into their sixties are going to feel! x

15. I find it bizarre that anyone objects...perhaps I am in a minority but schools often have lots of staff eating their lunch in staffroom why is it so unacceptable for someone to doze off.
    Why are people so intolerant of it? The only logical objection in my mind is concern that the staff with their eyes shut hasn't had some medical problem.
    I googled power nap and found this link
    http://www.infideas.com/health/sleep/power-napping.asp
    apparently we are 'designed' to have 2 sleeps a day.
    I can totally empathise with the sugar crash that hits you in the afternoon.
    Why is it ok for folks who work in businesses to have a power nap but not teachers? Is that because schools aren't really the businesses that many would have us classed as, when it suits them of course...[​IMG]

16. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

In my old school my dept had it's own little staff room that we'd eat in. An occassiaonlly people would sit back and doze/power nap for a bit (i know i did a couple of times) during lunch/break. We all got up and cracked on with work once the bell went.

Personally so long as it's not a 4 chair coma as lily mentioned earlier i say power nap away! The number of times i've felt a bit shattered and taken advantage of just a few moments quiet time and closed my eyes (not always to nap) and then felt more energised i don't see whats wrong with having a short nap to boost your energy levels for being with the kids. Whats better, a dozy teacher that didn't have a cheeky nap or a bright and alert teacher that did have a cheeky nap?

17. I've been tempted fall asleep in the staffroom on several occasions (especially in the depths of winter after a stodgy school lunch) but would feel too self-conscious to actually do it. Not sure what I'd think if I saw a colleague having a nap in there, either!

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

On many occasions I have wished that I had brought in a sleeping bag. [​IMG] Never in the staff room, but in departmental bases I have closed my eyes and started nodding, still awake of course and very annoyingly, been super conscious of the fact that the bell is going to go any minute. Kill joy that it is.

19. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Oooh Lardylady: same age; same year group; same effect! I don't dare close eyes sitting in a comfy seat any more especially when I'm a bit sleep deprived...

20. my thoughts entirely - but we have office-sized cupboards you can have a decent nap or even do a bit of office work in - i think well preferable to sleeping in front of everyone else