1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sleep training- advice needed- going to start tonight.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sunshinesarah, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

I have a 23 month old that has always been a terrible sleeper. He has only slept through the night once when he was 16 months old- a complete fluke. He does not sleep during the day as when he does our nights are 10 x worse. He goes to bed a seven ( has a full size bed) and me or my OH sit next to the bed until he falls asleep, this normally only takes 5 mins. Then he wakes anytime between 10 and 12 ( is a different time everynight) and comes into our bed ( i know bad habbit, but when you have got to wake up in the morning and teach 30 four year olds- it is much easier to get up once a night than 7 times)

I am now pregnant with second and we really need to get this sorted now. We need to be able to put him to bed without having to sit next to bed and need to keep him in his bed all night. I really do not want to do controlled crying. Is there anyone with any sleep training strategies that we could use.

Sorry for lack of spaces and paragraphs on Ipad.

2. sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah New commenter

I have a 23 month old that has always been a terrible sleeper. He has only slept through the night once when he was 16 months old- a complete fluke. He does not sleep during the day as when he does our nights are 10 x worse. He goes to bed a seven ( has a full size bed) and me or my OH sit next to the bed until he falls asleep, this normally only takes 5 mins. Then he wakes anytime between 10 and 12 ( is a different time everynight) and comes into our bed ( i know bad habbit, but when you have got to wake up in the morning and teach 30 four year olds- it is much easier to get up once a night than 7 times)

I am now pregnant with second and we really need to get this sorted now. We need to be able to put him to bed without having to sit next to bed and need to keep him in his bed all night. I really do not want to do controlled crying. Is there anyone with any sleep training strategies that we could use.

Sorry for lack of spaces and paragraphs on Ipad.

3. Get yourself a copy of the no cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschoolers. Or get hold of it from the library if you can, or ebay often have it. I really really understand why you don't want to use CC, I won't do it either but my dd (25 months)has been sleeping through, unless ill, for months now, thanks to strategies from this book.
    The piece of advice I found most useful is to remember that over half of all toddlers wake up at least once a night and need help to go back to sleep, so it's perfectly normal even if it's not easy to deal with.
    If it only takes 5 mins for him to go to sleep with one of you sitting there with him I would probably continue with that and try to deal with the needing help to go back to sleep in the middle of the night. I made dp deal with night wakings for a week, but that's because I'm still breastfeeding and she wants a feed if she sees me, you can probably do it yourself if you aren't bf. He went in and cuddled her in bed, then sat next to the bed same as at bedtime. She did complain, but he was right there and cuddled her if she was getting too upset. She took quite a long time to go back to sleep the first couple of nights, but by the third or forth night she was only waking once and would go back to sleep pretty quickly. It took about 10 days for her to sleep through, butshe did start waking for the day around 6am which is earlier than I like.
    That's what worked for us, but different things work for different families. The book I recommended has a lot of different strategies so you can choose what you think would fit with your family. Good luck.

4. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

Firstly - poor you and secondly i understand why you do the same bed thing but TBH my LO same age that sleeps 7-7 ( we did CC at an early age - but it can be very difficult to do)
    my suggestions are;
    buy a new duvet cover (let him choose) explaining its a big boy duvet now and big boys always sleep with their duvet
    try reading a story till he sleeps (just to break the habit of sitting with him or try the method where you sit further and further away each night till you are eventually out of the room ( i feel this is important as sitting with him till he sleeps reinforces in his mind that he needs someone with him when he is in bed
    when he wakes 2 options - do the supernanny thing where you say nothing and put him back to bed as many times as it takes - seems to be successful or let him come through mattress and duvey cos he cant be without his duvet (at some point you could show him that the duvet prefers to be on his own bed
    finally and importantly as i understand it daytime sleep at this age is essential , my Lo sleeps 1230 - 230 or till 3pm and still goes down at 7 or 7-8 no probs
    as someone once said imagine having a naptime sleep yourself, you would think that this would not make you able to sleep that niht but in most instances you become more tired and still ready for bed equally you can be tired in the afternoon but soldier on only to find you have difficulty sleeping that night!
    Whatever you decide there are 2 ways of doing things - cold turkey or progressively - cold turkey be strong - stick with the plan, progressive plan it out over a few weeks the stance you will take, plan one change every few nights so he has chance to get used to it
    you will know what's best for him but either way it's time to put your need for a nights sleep on hold for a while and get him sorted - hard but true
    good luck

5. I think that following these advices would be benefitial in order for a lot of parents like us to do things for our kids sake. For example, if you would give your kids some good toddler bed, it might help out in the development of all things for your kids. That would be nice in the long run, and at the same time, it would let your kids to grow more. I hope that these things help you out and others as well. I hope all is well with this one. Thanks!

6. Have you looked at his diet Sarah? Night waking into the second year and beyond can be due to food intolerances and allergies. I suspect my LO has an issue with dairy which we don't eat at home but she does at nursery. Dairy intolerant children often have similar reactions to soya. There's also wheat to consider. At some point we're going to have to try eliminating some of the foods to see if there's a relationship but I'm dreading it as she pretty much lives on bread and pasta!

7. Ha ha ha! There's one here for you again SingingRedhead!
    (for those who don't know, this poster posted on my thread about insomnia and SR gave a very suitable response!)

8. I think you could use my (insert grossly inflated price + product here)... ;-)