1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sleep deprived teenagers story

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Sep 30, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would guess that teenagers have been sleep deprived to some extent since time immemorial perhaps and certainly since they had to be up to start the 12 hour shift at Arkwright's mill in the 18th century!

Biologists have proven that teenagers and indeed the early 20 somethings have biological clocks on average shifted to the owl end of the spectrum. (although it would be interesting to know why this is from a biological point of view.)

Although I dare say that 14 year old Mildred would look across the window at 15 year old Jack in the back to back grime of Oldham and be up by candlelight writing her diary in 1846, there must be some degree of responsibility for sleep deprivation of our 24 hour connected world.

Part of the problem has to be the expectation that many have of keeping their mobiles on all night 'just in case I get a message.' (I have told my family quite firmly that if there is nothing that I can do to help at the time, if tragedy strikes at an unsociable hour then don't tell me until an hour at which I can deal with it!.) Cue many teens on their iPhone whatever it is now online and snapchatting at 2am. (yes, glass houses and stones, I am up well past my own school-night bedtime myself!) Also, particularly with lads, the PS4/Xbox.

The sleep deprivation must continue into uni for many, with club nights ending at 3-4am, halls of residence with noise beyond this point. At least most students do not have 9am lectures every day (if they attend these!)

Should school start later to accommodate teenager's late to bed habits? (It never bothered me as a kid - in fact as a definite lark I advocated earlier start times/finishes!)

2. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Why should schools open later? All tis lack of sleep in teenage years, is just preparing them for long work hours (and thus lack of sleep) when they're adults! We are a corporate society and all. :rolleyes: