1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLD and ASC job interview/presentation.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by chiki, May 18, 2010.

1. Can anyone help? I have been teaching in an ASC unit for the past year and so have good experience within the ASC spectrum. However I have been asked to make a presentation about teaching strategies and ways to engage children with PMLD and ASC and am a bit unsure. The children I have been teaching are all verbal, whereas in this new school they are non-verbal. I know the strategies such as chunking, repetition, showing the end product etc, but would love some extra advice if anyone has any!

2. You probably already know about this but what about intensive interaction and sensory integration?
    Intensive interaction can be used as a means of engaging with learners with PMLD and ASC who are non-verbal or semi-verbal. Have a read of Phoebe Caldwell's book 'Using Intensive interaction and sensory Integration' if you haven't already. Here's a quote from the blurb "Intensive interaction uses a person's own body language to make contact with them and Sensory Integration develops the capacity of an individual to receive, process and apply menaing to information provided by the senses through tageted activities."
    I have used it for a relatively short period of time last year with a learner with PMLD (although currently I mainly teach learners with SLD) and found that he started to become more aware of me and communicated intentionally with me more frequently.

3. gruble

gruble New commenter

I am sure you have been working with a speech and language therapist in the ASC unit, so she or he would be the ideal person to assist you here. the SLT would know how to engage children with PMLD and ASC in communication. In fact i wonder why the new school where you are making your presentation has not asked their SLT about this. Perhaps we are better off for SLTs here, but we work very closely on this with these pupils. In my experience they are always more than happy to share their knowledge and skills with teachers. Hope this helps.

4. Hi,
    thanks for that information. I have heard of sensory integration but only on a surface level, involving using all the senses where possible - is that correct? So I am planning to use sound effects and tactile objects as well as visual through an actual big book.
    But as for intensive interaction, no I have never heard of this and am not too sure what you mean? Sorry to be a pain!

5. Hi,
    yes I have worked with the SLT but unfortunately she is spread very thinly and is not available to me at present ;-(
    As far I know this is the first time the school have presented their interview in this way so that may be why they haven't involved their own SLT.
    I haven't done a presentation to adults for years so just by nature of that I'm very nervous!
    One of the key things I want to mention is use of the TAs but as I said before this is very different when the children are verbal as opposed to non-verbal. For the ASC children I know things like PECs and I have heard of Vokkas although I have never used them. Any other ideas?

6. In my undersatnding of Sensory Integration is by where you "assess" the sensory needs of the child. E.g. observing to see what senses they respond/use the best and those that they have difficulty with. Using this information then to engage the child and to then also help by desensatising them in the areas of sensory that they have difficulty with. E.g. Loud noises, croweded areas, certain textures, movements, lighting, etc...

7. Brilliant, thanks. I have done all of that before but have obviously not realised that it what the official terminology is. A lot of my skills and knowledge have come from on the job so I don't necessarily know the names!

8. Hi,
    there is a good introduction to Intensive interaction on the Teachers TV - search for a video called, "Reaching Ricky" it's an excellent and very interesting example of this strategy at work. Any books by Pheobe Caldwell, Dave Hewitt, Melanie Nind etc will be helpful.
    If you are interested in sensory integration, The Out-Of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz and The Out-of-Sync child has fun are very readable and full of practical ideas. PECS is a great tool for many non verbal children with autism (or early verbal skills) and those who are not yet ready for this often do well at "object PECS" learning to exchange part of an object/a miniature object/an actual object instead.
    The TEACCH approach is a great way to structure the class, make lessons and school life accessible to ASD students at a variety of levels and can underpin and support whatever you do. The North Carolina website is full of great ideas.
    I find shoebox tasks an excellent way of focusing my ASD pupils as the tasks lend themselves to the pupils' strengths - google for links - there are also some good websites where teachers post free ideas - until your own start to flow.
    That is probably enough to be getting along with ...
    Let me know if I can be of any further help.

9. Thank you so much for all of this info!
    I did get the job which naturally I am very pleased about - I will have a KS2 ASD class to begin with. I am going to look into the resources you recommended and will research over the summer holidays!
    What role are you currently in - you sound so knowledgeable!
    Many many thanks for your help.

Kimberley