1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SLC and repayments... Pah!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mfl-hopeful, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Annoyed with the SLC.

Moved overseas in 2009 and a few months later I arranged for repayment of my SL.
    Moved back to UK Sept 2010 and didn't contact them as I should have but why did they take £246 when I didn't agree to this.
    Are they allowed to do this without my verbal/written permission? Of course I will contact them Monday and sort it all out inc giving them copies of my payslips from Sep to present time.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

They're allowed to take payments from your salary. If this was over the required amount then I think it will be a different story x

3. I know they are allowed.
    I set up a direct debit because I was overseas. This is not directly taken by my employer from my salary.
    I think they took the £246 because I didn't get in contact to let them know of my situation. Still, I wonder do you need to give verbal/written permission for them to change from x amount to y amount each month?
    Just wondering what the legal side on this is for any payment to any company.

4. SLC are notorious for doing this. I joined the teaching profession when shortage subjects had their loans repaid. I borrowed £1500 for my PGCE year, filled in the paperwork and they started taking it out anyway!!! It took 3 months of continual phone calls to sort it out and a LOT of stress. I then moved to Scotland a few years later, requested and sent off the change of address form (and all the other bumf). A year ago (five years later...) £200 starts going out of my account randomly. Turns out they hadn't received my paperwork and couldn't be bothered to get in touch. I asked why they hadn't notified me or contacted me in the FIVE years since then as they had my new address, phone number, email etc and their response was "it's your responsibility to check we have received it, not ours to tell you if we haven't!" I kid you not.
    I took out a loan to pay it off as I couldn't afford the monthly SLC repayments on maternity leave; they continued to take it out for another FOUR months after I'd paid it off and had to keep sending me cheques or putting money in my bank account. I had to ring them every single day for a fortnight every month for 4 months.
    They are - without doubt - an entirely useless organisation who deserve nothing but contempt. I except the people that actually field the calls who were almost always unfailingly polite and helpful.

5. Oh, and the worst thing is that because they left it for five years before starting to take it out, I now owe waaaaaaaaay more than I borrowed. Charming!

6. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I know a lot of people experience trouble with the SLC, but me and Mr Para have never had any problems with them at all and they've always been very helpful when we've called and have dealt with things promptly.
    However, if you've set up a Direct Debit mandate with them, I always thought that under the DD scheme the company was obliged to tell you 14 days before the payment went out that they were taking the payment out and the amount they were taking. Have a word with your bank - they might be able to help you with this.

7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

no, they don't. they have you tell you when it changes. i don't get monthly notifications from all my DDs, i'd have a paper mountain of them.

8. Paradoxicalgirly

Exactly - and a previous post suggested that it has changed. In which case there should be some written confirmation of this.

9. Thanks to everyone's replies so far.
    I agree the people on the phone are nice, they even said last time that the main thing was that I got in touch and not to worry I'd left it a few months.
    However, I haven't recieved written confirmation of the change of amount.
    My bank are going to refund me the amount of the direct debit and I've cancelled it. I know it will all be sorted as soon as they are open Monday but just for the case of curiousness are companies are allowed to take a different amount by direct debit without informing the bank account holder?

10. Paradoxicalgirly