1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slavery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kandahar, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

needabreak and burajda like this.
  4. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Yes, but why single out one of at least 8 organisations involved? They all deserve congratulations.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Dark things going on in the Green Belt. Tip of the iceberg perhaps. I think I know the location, tucked away off a lane and probably backs onto the M25. Crews Hill is where North Londoners go to get Turf, paving slabs, lizards, ponds and potted plants.

Kandahar likes this.
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed so. Well done all involved.
    Yes. There was a similar raid on the same location, 3 arrests, slavery cited.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Should say...last year.

8. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

So is there going to be another one next year?

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I note that the investigation lasted for over a year. whilst I realise that it takes time for the police to gather sufficient evidence to convict the criminals behind appalling crimes like this, I also have to note that the police have shown the ability to catch terrorists virtually immediately after they committed their crimes and frequently before they were able to.

Certainly we need to applaud the police action in this instance. Who wouldn't? But if it took a year for the investigation to result in action being taken, I'm raising an eyebrow in wondering why, and asking why it occurred just at the moment that Johnson is hoping to salvage his credibility as he embarks on his latest attempt to relaunch his premiereship.

A year to bring action against criminals involved in modern slavery, when they can catch terrorists suspects and have them locked up the next day? Do me a favour.

This investigation would have continued for years on end had it not been politically expedient to act at this momemt in time.

10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Sadly, there are thousands of slaves in the UK, thousands in London alone, many of the children.

monicabilongame and Kandahar like this.
  11. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

Symingtons likes this.
  12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Multiple things can matter simultaneously.

mothorchid and Spoofer4114 like this.
  13. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

C'mon @Spoofer4114 , tell us a story about something 'moral' you have done in your life, if you ever have ... :)

Kandahar likes this.
  14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I think that all racism matters. I don't partake in black history, black music, black teachers, black band Wagoning.

It is divicive...but then you know that already and enjoy stirring up hatred.

15. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Is it not time to focus on how black people treat each other ? You have the ear of white people ,now try shouting the news to those who behave in this fashion. The report is old but it happens every day.

Warning: Very upsetting.

https://www.channel4.com/news/durban-south-africa-xenophobic-race-riot-migrants

Kandahar likes this.
  16. Spoofer4114

17. Spoofer4114

Look who's talking.

18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Then the discussion is about disregard for life and not about colour or race. I grew up in West Africa and the disregard for human life I witnessed haunts me still.

Kandahar likes this.
  19. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Where do I hark on about yellow, brown or white lives matter?

20. Spoofer4114

For you maybe. Black people are tired of having their lives disregarded and they make a good case as well. If you don't want to listen that's up to you. A lot of us do however and things are going to change regardless of what you and people like you think. Throwing statues in the drink and taking the knee are minutiae. Radical change needs to occur and I think it will.