1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slavery topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Keep Smiling!, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has taught a slavery topic to Year 3/4? One of my history objectives is to look at a significant person or time or how a place has changed over time and slavery would fit in with that. I was thinking of looking at slavery in roman times, how slaves were transported, what life was like for them on plantations, how it was abolished and some key figures in it's abolition. I won't go into gruesome detail but wondered if anyone has done this in LKS2? I'm planning on getting the children to write diary entries in role but am running out of inspiration for other activities they could do? I would really appreciate any guidance!

2. Keep Smiling!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has taught a slavery topic to Year 3/4? One of my history objectives is to look at a significant person or time or how a place has changed over time and slavery would fit in with that. I was thinking of looking at slavery in roman times, how slaves were transported, what life was like for them on plantations, how it was abolished and some key figures in it's abolition. I won't go into gruesome detail but wondered if anyone has done this in LKS2? I'm planning on getting the children to write diary entries in role but am running out of inspiration for other activities they could do? I would really appreciate any guidance!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I covered slavery as part of a local history topic with Y6 - it was quite difficult to find resources at the right level and that would be even more of a problem for you in Y3/4. Much of it seems to be aimed at Lower Secondary.

4. Look at the underground railway - there is loads connected with this - and Harriet Tubman. We have acted out the attack on the African village, the transportation and selling and the children have really enjoyed it. Look also at Rosa Parkes - a super topic!

5. Keep Smiling!

Thank you, I have read about Harriet Tubman but will look at Rosa Parkes too. I am finding it quite hard to find resources and it does seem to be aimed at older children however where we are has strong links with the slave trade and it does seem a shame not to use it as a topic. I may have to do my own resources from scratch!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter