1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slapped cheek

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lauragillott, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi. I'm looking for some advice.
    I am 13 weeks pregnant. I'm a reception teacher. The children at school have been getting slapped cheek for a
    couple of months now but I've just found out today (from a blood test) that I am not immune
    to it. I have spoken to my doctor and she has advised that I stay away from school and that I go back and have another blood test (as the first one was at 8 weeks).
    Do you think I should take the time off? My babies health is paramount to me but I can't help feeling guilty for now ringing my head to say that I need some time off until slapped cheek has stopped in school. And also be use I've been around it for so long without realising the risks and that I was it immune as the midwife hadn't told me this and I now only know because I have been chasing the results for the last few days!
    Sorry for my rambles but I just don't know what to do!
    Any advise would be appreciated as I'm worrying!

2. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Definitely stay off school as that's the medical advice. You have to put your baby first x

3. Medical advice says don't go in so don't go in . I had a friend who was off nearly half a term as the sibling of a child in her class had slapped cheek and the doctors messed around so much sorting her results and she turned out to be immune!

4. Last time round I was off for nearly all of June/July (football was on and my OH was very jealous!!!)
    I had worked in KS1 for years and never picked it (nor immunity) up. Don't go in - they will all survive without you - and you would never forgive yourself if you did get it and you lost your baby. You could always catch up on learning journeys etc from home if you felt really guilty.
    We worl our butts off as teachers and need to stop feeling guilty about taking time off when we need it (there are millions of stay at home mums and ladies who lunch etc who don't work at all so for once in our lives we deserve some time off if we need it)

x