1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slapped Cheek

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by roxy1707, Mar 20, 2011.

1. I have been signed off work for a week due to NOT being immune to slap cheek and having an outbreak in school (at least 8 cases in the last two weeks).
    I am in work tomorrow (Monday 21st March) BUT found out that on Friday there was another case of a girl (not in my class) and a teaching assistant!
    Although I know I can't stay off school until the birth however am terrified about putting myself in an at risk place. I would rather wait until there is a rash free week.
    I am 22 weeks pregnant and 18/19 when the first case was diagnosed.
    Anyone been through this before?

2. You're fine! EVERYTHING I read said there's only a risk up til 20 weeks. I was signed off too but luckily I am immune; I'm 14 weeks. I think you're fine but do get a doctor to phone you to reassure you x

3. Thank you... it has been so worrying ... I just wish the doctor could of corfirmed this sooner. I have read so many different things including:
    Lots of people are very blase about the fact that you are fine once you pass 20 weeks but again this is not completely true.
    My doctor didn't know much about it.
    x

4. I eventually spoke to a consultant at the hospital, after talking to GP who said it was up to me whether I went into work or not, to a midwife who said she thought I should stay off but got the consultant to ring me to give a second opinion. He said they advise I stay off until I get my blood test results but they didn't tell me anything else after that- said they'd have to monitor the baby with extra ultrasounds if I had been exposed recently or was not immune. I hope you speak to someone in the know soon- don't give up! The other thing is, if the child is not in your class you won't have prolonged contact, which is key x