1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slapped cheek syndrome

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by emylou, May 1, 2012.

1. emylou

emylou New commenter

My brother called to tell me that his GF's little girl has Slapped Cheek syndrome!? I was round their house Saturday evening so had quite close contact with her (even shared her straw at one point!) I have called my GP but had to leave a message with Receptionist & call back later. My brother doesn't know I'm pregnant yet; he said he was just telling me "in case" I had to sort anything out which made it weird too as I didn't want to tell him over the phone but appears he has guessed!?
    Weirdly I have had itchy feet today & had a temperature but not sure if they're linked?

2. emylou

emylou New commenter

My brother called to tell me that his GF's little girl has Slapped Cheek syndrome!? I was round their house Saturday evening so had quite close contact with her (even shared her straw at one point!) I have called my GP but had to leave a message with Receptionist & call back later. My brother doesn't know I'm pregnant yet; he said he was just telling me "in case" I had to sort anything out which made it weird too as I didn't want to tell him over the phone but appears he has guessed!?
    Weirdly I have had itchy feet today & had a temperature but not sure if they're linked?

3. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I believe it has an incubation period of 2 weeks, so you wouldn't have any symptoms yet. It depends on what stage their LO was at when you were with her as to whether you've been exposed to it or not - once the rash develops they are no longer contagious. I am not sure what they will do in case of exposure - if the cases were at work you'd be told to stay off until your own immunity had been tested, but in this case you should definitely avoid the little one until she's over it. Try not to panic, most adults are immune to it as it's a fairly common disease of childhood. Definitely speak to the doctor though - he may want to test your immunity to it.
    x

4. emylou

emylou New commenter

Update

Apparently my GP says it's a virus so there's nothing that can be done/I need to do!?
    I said I'd read that I should have a blood test but the Receptionist just said "that's not what the Dr says".
    The antenatal clinic numbers are going through to answer phone. Do I need to call NHS direct or should I just call my the antenatal clinic in the morning?

5. chocolateheaven

The blood test won't do anything as it's not treatable, and it won't tell you whether you've been exposed or not, simply whether you're immune to it. As you are not in danger of continuous exposure ie at work, there is no necessity for them to do the test - hence why GP has said not to bother. (My dad is a GP, my mum's a midwife and health visitor!) The blood test won't tell whether you've contracted it, only time will tell that I'm afraid. I would avoid the little girl until it's passed and keep fingers crossed that you don't contract it. Tbh, by the time a blood test came back telling you wheher you were immune or not, you'd prob have symptoms if you'd caught it anyway! x

6. My blood test told me I had had it but not recently which implies that the test would be able to tell you if you have it/had it recently. Personally I would ring the midwife and ask and stay away from the little girl (and family) until the results came back. My book and the baby centre say you should inform your caregiver straight away and not wait to see if any symptoms develop. They should give you a blood test to see if you have already had it or are immune and if you havent you have more blood tests over the next few weeks. Then if they find out you have contracted it you get extra monitoring and scans to check everything is alright.
    Sorry I'm not writing to scare you but i would be very cross with my doctor. My midwife also said that often when adults contract the virus they have very few symptoms and often dont even notice.
    On a positive note i was told that most people have had it at some point and if you already work with children you are even more likely to have had it.So chance are you are already immune. x

7. chocolateheaven

Ooops, just spoke to my parents and I was wrong - a blood test could tell you whether you have it within 4 days of exposure, or longer. If you do contract it then you'll be given extra monitoring, so if Sleepy is right (which I'm sure she is) and you can have it as an adult with no symptoms, then I take back what I said about waiting and seeing what happened - push for the blood test! Sorry to have advised incorrectly.

8. Yes Chocolate, you are right. I have had to have this test again today for the second time in 6 weeks as we have had 2 recent confirmed cases in school. So I am off again playing the waiting game. I am 14 weeks and have been tested in all three of my pregnancies for this and have come out as non-immune and non-exposed. I am fully expecting this result to be the same, obviously I don't want to have caught it but being non-immune is a pain as every time there's a case I have to leave school and be tested yet again! I phoned my doctor for advice about what to do this time and she said it was fine to go back as long as I washed my hands and stayed away from the children as much as possible (!). Half an hour she phoned me back and said that having looked at the HPA statistics and guidelines, she would advise me to not be in work until I am 20 weeks! So I am a bit in shock, and worried about what school are going to say and how it will affect my record as technically, as far as I know at the moment, I'm not ill - she has written the note and it is waiting at the surgery for me to pick it up. What does everyone think about this? What would you do?

9. Miss_understood, this is a pregnancy related absence, and will be recorded on your record as such - although these absences count towards your rolling year quota of allowable sick pay, they can't be used in any absence monitoring process.
    There was a thread on here a while back discussing slapped cheek - we had an outbreak at school and while I was off, I did a lot of research into the risks, etc. I'll find a link and post it here rather than type the info out again! (I ended up beign signed off for 2 weeks until my results came back - I am immune and hadn't had recent contact)

10. Thanks LMC, you have made me feel a lot better about the situation. I have spoken to school and am sending my note in tomorrow.

11. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

I too am in the waiting game limbo - sen and autism so very hands on, we get what the kids get. Am 10 wks, been off since Friday, bloods on Mon, but very confused by blood test - rubella came back fine, didn't even test but the are cross checking the recent test with my booking bloods done a week earlier, checking for igM, the antibodies for recent infection. From what it says on csk nhs website if I were immune they wouldn't bother with the igM as the igG immunity (old contact so immune) passes to baby - has anyone been told they were immune and went back in a couple of days or is it always this long? I've been told to go back next weds for outcome, will have been 2 weeks by then!

Sorry mega impatient! The builders are tearing the house down so I can't even chill out at home!

12. I was off for the full two weeks I saw the midwife about 9 days after my bloods were taken, and there were no results to report at that stage, as she phoned and checked for me!

13. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

LMC, were you asked to do pieces of work beyond planning?

14. No, I offered to do some paperwork tasks, but nothing was sent. I also only gave 2 days' planning as my school asks supply to plan their own work based on given objectives

15. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

That's great thanks - that's exactly what I have done. I'm getting very low - mainly lack of routines, building site house and also thyroid problems (dipped again, being monitored but takes a while for increase in meds), which worry me as well as slapped stuff too. I'm finding work increasingly difficult to think about without getting stressed. Did you find it a stressful time?

16. For your own peace of mind I would ask to be tested for now and future. It is not easy being a pregnant teacher as sneezes and diseases are high. Even though the little girl is not in your school it can be a signal that slap cheek is on the rise locally. That is what I was told when pregnant. I was not immune the first time (although 7 years ago) and the second time was borderline as they tried to get results quick and showed positive so started the extra scan monitor etc. But eventually they came to the conclusion I had become immune pre-pregnancy and so false alarm.

17. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

Goodness I bet that was hard - did you stay off a while?

Thanks for your replies, I think I've been quite surprised at how low I've become - ironically at the same time my thyroid has dipped some more so have been a bit fuzzy with that - quite good been off while that's been going on. I have another appointment tomorrow to either find out results or be given another sick note - it will also be only 9 days post test but they do come through on email so may be back?! Mixed feelings about going back, sort of wish people knew (a few do) but the other 40 members of staff have been told its a virus - and probably suspect nervous breakdown! On the other hand I think its going to be both complicated and stressy if I'm not immune as its an odd school - 2 mixed into one, separate heads and ofsted numbers etc, harder to track and communicate what the state of infection is or could be. Maybe id just go back and keep being tested though that would be rather stressful too. Fingers crossed for tomorrow - 11 weeks too!

18. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

Well not immune, very surprised given how closely I work with our children in an sen school - currently don't seem to have had contact :) test again in a couple of weeks. Will be off a little while longer, no new cases as yet but just to make sure.

19. Sorry to hear of your worries over this but thought I would come and post on this thread rather than starting a new one as I am in a bit of a dilemma over slapped cheek in the school where I work.
    I was sent home today after telling the head at my school I was pregnant because of a suspected case of slapped cheek which was worrying me. Slapped cheek has been going around our infant school but I work in the juniors so I wasn't too worried but then a colleague's daughter had a suspected case of it and as I was due to be working closely with this colleague today they said I should go home. I made a doctors appointment for this afternoon to explain my worry and see if I could have the blood test for immunity to put my mind at rest. I have been told that it was a false alarm in this case but not to worry about coming back in as they've got it covered. Now I don't know whether to ask the doctor for the check or not. I don't think I have been in contact with anyone who has it but it definitely HAS been in our infants and many of the children I work with have younger brothers or sisters who could have been in contact with it. I feel silly now for worrying and going home and don't want to waste the doctor's time as well. As it is it made me tell people earlier than I wanted as I am due my 12 week scan next week and was going to wait for that. I'm not usually a person to panic over things like this but feel like I overreacted and should have just kept quiet a little longer and waited to see whether I actually could have come into contact with the virus.
    Sorry to rant - that came out much longer than I had intended but was very cathartic!