1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

slapped cheek parvovirus b19 and risk assessment

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by LittleMissCurious, May 10, 2012.

1. No problem! When we had our outbreak, the GP I first saw and my school were pretty clueless, so I did lot of research myself. The risks to baby if you do contract it are significant, and te idea of my little one potentially needing a blood transfusion before birth was enough to prompt me to find out all I could. You school will probably have a generic policy about outbreaks of infectious diseases, not specific to parvovirus. Whatever that says, follow the advice of your own GP/midwife as to what you should do. Some women on here have been signed off until 20 weeks if contact cannot be avoided. My biggest concern was the fact that 25% of cases are more or less syptomless, expecially in adults. We knew we had more children who had probably had it, but whose parents hadn't spotted the symptoms/sought medical advice.
    Definitely try and find that poster & read it if you can - it was the first place I went when the Mum called & said it was slapped cheek. My HT covered my class while I then phoned my midwife & GP for advice, who booked me a blood test the next morning and signed me off til the results came in. I'm now well past 20 weeks and, from memory, the only disease I should watch out for now is rubella, but I was routinely screened for that at my booking in appointment in Dec and know I am immune.
    Take care of yourself, and you little one. Your school will just have to cope without you - your baby is more important.

2. figrowan

figrowan New commenter

To be honest, it is a worry returning, and I'm only double checking and questioning what they've done in order to help me return - the doc won't let me unless she is sure risks have been minimised and informing parents is a way to do this - makes me feel happier to return if I know there's no new cases and parents are/were aware and will inform school if there are. I feel like a piggy in the middle! If I didn't chase this I could potentially stay off till 20 weeks, really not a good thing for the children I teach - it took us 6 months to get to know/understand/ settle them in the first place! It's also going to be an issue for future pregnancies - I may have to try my best to catch it when my baby is out and toddling about!