1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Slanging match across the classroom and lies

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Golden2010, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hiya,
    I have a really good class this year. Only 20 and th best in the school. However I can feel their behaviour slipping. Last year they had a fantastic teacher who only uses positive behaviour management. I try really hard to be positive and not shout but sometimes I feel like I am horrible to the children because, if im honest, im dissapointed that they are not as good for me as they were for her.

Any way, a problem we have at the moment is that the children are getting into slanging matches across the classroom. Something will happen at playtime and when they come in someone will mumble something and they will then start shouting at each other across the classroom. This will then mean that 2-3 boys start to stick up for their friends rusulting in a full on shout off. This is only happening with a girl with ADHD who is on ritalyn and a boy. It is always the same boy and girl. The only way I can stop them shouting at each other is by shouting over them an when I try to talk to both of them the cant listen to each other and lie.

The problem is is that I know they both lie, so when I ask whats happened I just get a web of lies. So when I say 'you have until the end opf the lesson to tell me the truth' and the end I get lies again. So I repeat, at the end of the day I want the truth or else x,y,z.

Does this make sense? So baysically I have a boy and a girl (who has adhd but it on medication) who dont get on and mutter about each other which then results in a shouting match. I dont always hear the muttering but then when i try to get to the bottem of it its more muttering and he said she said.

Hope this makes sense.

2. Hiya,
    I have a really good class this year. Only 20 and th best in the school. However I can feel their behaviour slipping. Last year they had a fantastic teacher who only uses positive behaviour management. I try really hard to be positive and not shout but sometimes I feel like I am horrible to the children because, if im honest, im dissapointed that they are not as good for me as they were for her.

Any way, a problem we have at the moment is that the children are getting into slanging matches across the classroom. Something will happen at playtime and when they come in someone will mumble something and they will then start shouting at each other across the classroom. This will then mean that 2-3 boys start to stick up for their friends rusulting in a full on shout off. This is only happening with a girl with ADHD who is on ritalyn and a boy. It is always the same boy and girl. The only way I can stop them shouting at each other is by shouting over them an when I try to talk to both of them the cant listen to each other and lie.

The problem is is that I know they both lie, so when I ask whats happened I just get a web of lies. So when I say 'you have until the end opf the lesson to tell me the truth' and the end I get lies again. So I repeat, at the end of the day I want the truth or else x,y,z.

Does this make sense? So baysically I have a boy and a girl (who has adhd but it on medication) who dont get on and mutter about each other which then results in a shouting match. I dont always hear the muttering but then when i try to get to the bottem of it its more muttering and he said she said.

Hope this makes sense.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't bother trying to get to the cause of it. There is no point all you will end up with is lies, so a total waste of energy.

Just give punishments for the slanging match. The first one who shouts out/mutters gets a warning and the class are reminded of the rule about speaking properly to each other. The next who shouts out misses 5 mins of play. The next 10 mins of play and after that anyone misses all of play.

Simply punish the poor behaviour at the time it happens. Working on enabling them to get along can happen at other times, and must do so.