1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype Visits - Have you had any visitors?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JosieWhitehead, Jan 22, 2016.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I've been a teacher all my working life and wasn't planning on changing career in my retirement but. . . . I volunteered to visit children in my local school for one hour a week (oh how I enjoyed this!) - and six months into my visits things changed. The children were thoroughly dissatisfied with a poem they'd just had and I volunteered to try to write a poem for them for the next week, and I instantly regretted it as I'd never been to a creative writing class in my life. However, now there are 1,350 poems and last year, from the website they insisted I built, I learned they went into 188 countries. I'm called back into school classrooms now all over the world but by Skype. Children in Costa Rica saw snow falling last year and children in Ghana saw it this year through my window here in Yorkshire. (They both wanted me to read them snow poems). They marvel at how green our English world is. I Skype into their worlds and they love to Skype into my world. I've been adopted as "auntie" by children in a charity school and children in Argentina sent me a picture to go with my poem "A Little Green Caterpillar". It was hand-delivered to my Yorkshire home by their lovely teacher, Graciela, and we're best friends and often meet for tea and chat - by Skype. But in all of this time I've yet to be invited into schools in the UK and have often wondered if Skype visits are not allowed. I'm well into granny-hood now, and travelling across towns to find schools in my car worries me. Then I'm less likely to catch the children's colds via Skype - - for I get terrible bronchitis. But, after all this, I'm writing to ask you if Skype visits are allowed and have you had any visitors Skype to your class - and, come on, tell me about your visits.

2. marybon

marybon New commenter

Hi Josie,

Your poems are amazing and I would love to invite you into my classroom via Skype.
    I am thinking of early summer but I have always wondered how to get in touch with you.
    I will PM you to know your availability.
    Thank you.

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Hello Marybon. Thank you but honestly I didn't write this to drum up customers, ha ha And what a fool to write the same discussion subject twice. The children would surely laugh at this granny. It's just that it really is a mystery to me and I wondered whether Skype visits are not allowed in the UK. I asked the one and only literacy consultant that was left in our area and she said that she thought that there was no reason why not. Short Skype visits are much cheaper for schools than whole day visits and it means you can go to visit the class a few times and help them with their writing or encourage them with their performances, which is great. As for me: I love to be back with the children again. It's home for me.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Many English schools do not allow the use of Skype due to internet security concerns - anyone with a little knowledge of hacking can watch the conversations going on via webcams. Some schools still have video link/conferencing equipment. If you contact a few schools they will tell you what the protocol is regarding live link-ups.