1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype v Msn

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, May 22, 2011.

1. I use MSN to speak to my relatives abroad
    Is it worth me getting skype? IS it any better? Do I have to pay for it?

2. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

It's completely free, as long as the other person has Skype too.

I find them both very similar and use both depending on what the person I am talking to is using.

3. I dislike Skype. There's something a bit awkward and vaguely embarrassing about it - the stilted camera action, the pauses in conversation while you and the other person try to guage whether you caught what the other said because the screen froze...

I actually prefer e-mail.

4. We tried Skype, for some reason it didn't work very well. Messenger is much better.

5. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I love skype! I used it almost daily when I was in Korea,and had few problems with it. However it is worth considering that Korea have really fast internet speeds, so maybe that helped to prevent the problems others have cited?
    I loved it because I could see my nephews and as they are little this was really important to me. However I would have considered a skype phone if it wasn't for them, just because the sound wa always clear and it is free to other skype users. I also used some of the fringe benefits - I had a local number that people could ring me on, which cost me maybe a tenner for 3 months (unsure but not much money). This was really handy for those without skype.
    I would go skype everytime, can't stand typing conversations but each to their own. Depends what you want it for I supppose :)

6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Skype is used to type conversations too.
    MSN can be used for video conferencing.

MSN (or windows live messenger more correctly) seems to be the more reliable of the two. And I never thought I'd see the day when I could say that!

7. I prefer skype.
    I loathe MSN with a passion and refuse to use it.
    I have never found skype to be unreliabe - do you mean anything specific, lilac?

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Skype crashes. It doesn't deliver messages. People appear to be online when they're not.

Etc etc.