1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype, references... Now what?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sunshine_desserts, Mar 27, 2018.

1. sunshine_desserts

sunshine_desserts New commenter

Hi all

I've had an informal discussion with a Spanish international school via Skype. They've asked for references, they even went as far as pressing for further references as my previous employer would only give basic information. I've provided a further reference who was willing to give a thorough reference (the referee assured me it was positive.) It's been around 2 months since I initially made contact with the school. I've been applying elsewhere, I even had another offer but I wasn't keen. No job offer has been made at the school in question.

I know that this school is not advertising (although I believe they are expanding) but they did say that I was shortlisted for the position of "Teacher of (my first subject) and (my second subject.) Which is very specific!

Has anyone experienced this or would care to hazard a guess what is going on?

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

They found someone else or restructured within. Simple

3. sunshine_desserts

I last heard from them around a week ago, asking for a further reference, which has been provided.

4. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Question should be, do you want to work for a company who treat people like this?

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Keep looking. Maybe Spain works out, maybe it doesn't. Don't burn any bridges until you know.
    And I have to ask, why Spain? With its very poor reputation overall for the treatment and payment of international teachers, and so many attractive options around the world, why Spain?

dumbbells66 and spanboy like this.
  6. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Re: Spain - exactly! Wish I'd got out of there years ago (am out now, just wish I'd've done it sooner!)

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

This happened to with two different schools (different countries). I had an interview, then they took up references, then a second interview. Told me they would let me know within the week. Never heard from them again. When I emailed to ask if they had made a decision I got no reply. I think it is a very bad way for a school to conduct themselves and I would not want to work for a school that treats people like that.

8. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

The fact that you initially made contact two months ago and are still waiting for a job offer tells you all what you need to know about the school. #stayClear

dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would like to point out that i didnt say anything negative about Spain this time ;)

SciHQ, mermy, spanboy and 2 others like this.
  10. sunshine_desserts

Well done, dumbbells66. My husband and I are looking for a new challenge. We chose not to have a family but we are still young, we are close to our own families and don't want to be too far. My husband works from home and his employer would like him to return very occasionally for meetings. We also have a rescue dog who is older and I don't want to put him in the cargo of a plane so we are going to use the ferry. There are lots of British teachers in Spain- it can't be that bad. If there was another job I could do in another county I would... whilst I like being a teacher I've not exactly had positive experiences here in the UK. It's about the new life. Not the job.

11. dumbbells66

i actually laughed out loud at this one :p

best of luck

12. sunshine_desserts

What exactly is the issue? I don't care about the pay.

13. dumbbells66

i nearly had a nervous break down and seriously thought about quitting teaching. my sister had her tax contributions stolen by the owner of her schools and had to leave the country in a hurry. a close friend of mine had stress induced alopecia from working at his school. i could go on and on and on and on...but i wouldnt want to bore you.

best of luck

14. sunshine_desserts

You're not boring me, i'm very sorry to hear you wen't through that. I'm still not sure if it is workload, management, behaviour?

15. gulfgolf

16. dumbbells66

All the above...plus through in incompetence and you would be about right.

17. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

When bad international schools go wrong, they really go wrong. And in a way that most people wouldn't believe possible.

My favourite (urban legend?) from the circuit was about a school in the ME that locked all its overseas teachers in the basement for 3 days.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  18. gulfgolf

Seems urban legendary.

19. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

That's what I thought. If I hadn't found out about by listening in on a conversation between my IB DP coordinator and Head of School - I wouldn't have paid it any mind. Apparently one of them was directly involved.

20. new13sue

new13sue New commenter

I've been in a similar position with a certain 'well regarded' international school in Madrid. Three Skype interviews, references taken, rejection for one post, feedback promised, then not received. Another interview, 5 weeks ago. Told I'd hear from them within 8 days. Nothing! nada!

The UK system has many faults, but in over 20 years, I've never known such poor recruitment procedures. Safe to say I'm not impressed, and have now accepted a contract in the U.K., where least I'll have the protection of teachers' Ts & Cs. And they got back to me the day after the interview!!

I agree with other posters here- it' s almost certainly an indication of what that particular Spanish school would be like as an employer, so I've probably dodged a bullet!!