1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype Interview

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by grs95, Jan 20, 2020.

1. grs95

grs95 New commenter

Hi all,

Sorry if this is not on the correct thread!

I applied for a job abroad and have been invited to interview. However, the interview is via Skype.
    I have only ever done classics teacher interviews that involve teaching a lesson.

Has anyone got any experience or advice on how to go about preparing for a Skype interview?

Thanks!

2. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Dress as you would for a regular job interview. Ensure you have a neutral background and quiet conditions. Check internet connection and tine difference beforehand. Write down any questions you want to ask them. Do your research and find out as much as you can about the school from their website and other sources. They will want to see how you communicate so try not to be nervous. Maybe post this on the teaching abroad forum, you may get more replies. Good luck!

3. grs95

grs95 New commenter

Thank you for this! Some good advjce

I’ll post it on the teaching abroad forum as well.

4. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Not a Skype interview, but I was interviewed one Saturday morning by phone from a head in Bangkok.

I always felt it was quite surreal... being interviewed whilst in my dressing gown drinking coffee and eating toast.

Yes, I was offered the job, but unfortunately couldn't take it.

5. grs95

grs95 New commenter

If the interview falls outside of my working day so I don’t have to take time off, would it be recommended to still inform my current school?

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Even more surreal if it had been Skype!

7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Dress from the top as if you was attending an interview- first impressions still count!!
    I conducted a Skype interview with a teacher who was living in Canada and looking to move to the U.K.- passed the Skype interview and then invited them to an interview in the U.K.- Job was offered and accepted- they do work, but I would only do these sort of interviews in extreme circumstances like this.