1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype Interview Help!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grs95, Jan 21, 2020.

1. grs95

grs95 New commenter

Hi all,

I applied for a job abroad and have been invited to interview. However, the interview is via Skype.
    I have only ever done classics teacher interviews that involve teaching a lesson.

Has anyone got any experience or advice on how to go about preparing for a Skype interview and what might happen?

Thanks!

2. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

Prepare for similar questions to a classic interview. Wear something that you would wear to a normal interview.

Check that everything is working properly in advance by having someone call you to check they can see you and there isn’t too much distraction in the background.

Choose somewhere with good internet and quiet where you can be private.

You can make notes and have them out of view too!! Have a notebook and pen to make notes as you talk if you’d like.

Prepare questions to ask the interviewer at the end.

Try not to look at yourself the whole time!! It can be really hard!! I would ring someone and practice this part!

3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Good advice from Bsmart there. I tend to stick loads of notes around my computer and so that I can refer to them and tick things off as I say them. You can also write down the questions you want to ask as well so you don't forget them (one of my habits in an interview.)

Bsmart19 likes this.
  4. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

Also make sure that you have at least 2 devices ready. I went to do a Skype interview at home recently and there was a power cut! I completed the interview on my phone and got the job! Good luck.

Bsmart19 and T0nyGT like this.
  5. grs95

grs95 New commenter

Thank you everyone! Great advice.

I guess I’m just slightly confused at the idea of not teaching an actual lesson in the interview..

6. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

Can’t agree more gilderbeast - sounds like my last interview where Skype was an issue and we ended up talking on Watsapp!

7. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

But do you need to be seen to teach an artificial lesson with children you don’t know? I mean... I always think they’ll never see the best of you that way no matter how good you look! People could decide on that and then you might be **** at long term planning (not you! Just generally!) I always think a lesson obvs is weird!

8. venny414

venny414 New commenter

One of the things I picked up on very quickly is making sure not to talk over the interviewer. I can't stress this enough. If you try to finish their sentence or talk over them, due to the delay, it just turns into a mess.

Make sure that you only talk when they have completely finished talking. If there is a few second delay at the end of a sentence then don't worry too much about it.

Kartoshka, tb9605 and stopwatch like this.
  9. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

The advice from @Bsmart19 is good. If you are not a regular user of Skype then do arrange a view practice sessions with a critical friend - it is not difficult but you will interview better if you are not worried about the technical aspects.

One point above all else - look at the camera, make sure the position of your screen and any notes help you look naturally into the camera.

If you need to then register a new account, but make sure your Skype name and everything linked to the account is a good reflection of you as a professional teacher.

Bsmart19 likes this.
  10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Loads of great ideas from posters which I would echo. If you have never done one before, it can seem a bit weird, so have a practice with a friend.
    I have done Skype a few times now, from both sides of the fence and in many ways preferred them to face to face. They have generally been more informal and relaxed.
    I'm not sure if this has been said, but check what is behind you, as this will be seen by the interviewer. A Nazi flag hanging on the wall wouldn't go down as well as a painting of Constables Haywain!
    Make sure those who live in the same house, know you are being interviewed and don't shout up the stairs to see if you want a cuppa or (like one recent interview on the news) a baby in a babywalker makes a grand entrance being chased by the Filipina maid.

11. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

The woman who came in to pull the baby back was the mother, and wife of the interviewer.

For the OP, treat the Skype interview just as you would a face to face interview. Try to make eye contact, smile, take a few deep breaths...and if you have pets or children try to keep them out of the room! Turn your phone and other devices to silent.
    Send a message in advance with your phone/WhatsApp number in case the connection is interrupted. Have a glass of water nearby for dry mouth. Check the backdrop and flare from lamps or light fittings.
    Good luck.

Kartoshka likes this.
  12. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter