1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype interview---Help

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Gut, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Gut

Gut

I have my first ever Skype interview tomorrow too. My plan is to dress as I would for a face to face interview, make sure there's nothing distracting in the background (a blank wall is probably best) and then just do whatever I'd do in a in person interview. The only thing that I know I'm going to be self concious about is where to look - habit makes me want to look at the person but the camera is above the screen so looking at the person makes me look like I'm looking away!

2. Treat it just like a face to face interview. I would say dress formal, have a glass of water on your desk, have your list of questions ready on the desk, make sure the room you are in is well lit (try to avoid bright lights behind you) AND check what is in the background.....have seen several interviews with 'interesting' items in the background. Make sure your microphone and speakers are working. Most of all if you are having technical problems say so and then work together to fix the problem. Good luck with the interviews.

3. Hi, I too had my first one of these last week and like you was nervous about what to expect. It was much easier than I expectedal though there was a technical hitch at one point but I just asked them clearly to repeat the question and explained this. Yes it is better to try and look at the camera but I noticed my interviewer did not always do this either so I didnt worry too much to about that. I would say to try and smile and relax as much as possible as that comes across to them.l
    Good luck. What part of the country are you hoping to go too?

4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Position yourself so that you are the same distance from the camera as you would be the from the interviewer's eyes if you were "interviewing" live. You don't have to put a real desk and some legroom between yourself and the camera to achieve this, you can just measure it out with some tape. If you do this then the angle between you-camera and you-image of interviewer will be small and it will be just like the real thing.

Having said that, chances are the interviewer will prefer to watch a talking head and see you up close. So you can't win.
    Skype is new. Its not that long ago that some schools were insisting on postal applications or "no attachments" to emails. The teaching profession is way behind some others and hasn't yet caught up with the fact that it would be cash friendly to narrow the field down to those that really are candidates and fly them out for an interview.

5. I think the others have covered the key points well. Dress smartly, add a touch of colour is my advice. And smile too! :)

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. PPx

6. I've never had a Skype interview, but i always thought if I did, I would make up an enormous poster board of memory joggers and notes to sit behind the monitor (out of sight of the interviewer).

7. Can Skype interviews be done without a video or camera function, or is that not the done thing?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't lean towards the camera/screen - it distorts your face and you look weird.
    Allow for any time-lag between picture and sound that you sometimes get.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

9. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Thanks Theo...... Although I've not posted over at the jobseekers board, I've read all your suggestions and credit you with helping me get my CV and application letters in order. I havn't been in the job market in 15 years so I'm rusty at all this.

Tim

10. Had the Skype interview today...went well once I realised something...
    I have created a Skype account for my job hunt this year. I have another Skype account for friends and family which has worked fine for years. Of course, when I went on today for my first Skype interview, the Head could not hear me. DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE AUDIO SETTINGS TO YOUR CAMERA MIC! I guess Skype defaults to your computer's microphone, which, in my case, didn't work.
    Lessons learnt...oh well...on to the next interview! :)