1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype interview dress code

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by w1185299, Sep 19, 2019.

1. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Should men wear shirt and tie with or without suit jacket?

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Dress as you would above the waist for a formal interview with the head. If you would normally dress without a tie then do so here.

Below the waist you can be in your birthday suit, as long as no one sees it.

You will never be criticized for over dressing. There may be some remark made in a lighthearted manner, but that is fine. If you are under dressed, it will probably not be remarked on but will almost certainly be noted.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Spot on, Karvol.
    Though I do recall the horror stories of people dressing "above the waist" and then having to get up unexpectedly during the interview, revealing the insufficiencies of their choices. One of those horror stories was mine, and while I won't pretend his track suit bottoms were the reason he didn't get a job, I will say that his casual sartorial approach helped me confirm the casual pedagogical approach I was observing.

4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

If you're dressed formally up top, then it's really not much more of a chore to also stick on the pants that go with the suit!

Helen-Back likes this.
  5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Agree. It may seem odd (to you) to be dressed in a suit, sitting in your living at possibly some god-awful hour but it's less of a risk than under-dressing.

And on the other forum the (apparently) true story of the candidate who stood up when the dog entered the room (or some such distraction) and pulled a "Captain Underpants" in front of the recruiter is quite the classic (as told to us by his wife).

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I always wore a tie. I even have a lucky tie to wear for skype interviews as it has never failed to get me the job.

7. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I once did a Skype interview in my pyjamas.

They had emailed, wanted a skpye 'chat' NOW and when I explained it was bedtime where I was and I was already in pyjamas, they said it didn't matter.

bobbingtoncrescent likes this.
  8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

The great thing about Skype interviews is that you can have all your prompts behind the computer screen and even though everyone knows that's what you do, nobody sees!

The biggest trouble sometimes is getting a steady connection. When I first interviewed, the best connection was on my iPad, but there's been a couple of times I've actually had to do it on my phone as my computer wouldn't connect properly (thanks, Egypt) even with a VPN running.

9. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

Flip flops, vest. Give other candidates a chance.

salamandes, Helen-Back and gulfgolf like this.
  10. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Always think about what is behind you when doing Skype interviews - remember, everything sends a message...

A handy feature is the 'background blur' which brings the focus onto you.

ChaiLattePlease likes this.
  11. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

I once did a Skype interview from a restaurant on a beach in Thailand, it really was the best internet connection on the little island I was living on. I had a shirt & tie above the waist, swimming shorts & barefeet below. Needless to say, I didn't get the job (the interview team were far more interested in life on the island than they were in constructivist pedagogy!), but alls well that ends well as not getting that job led me to a job that I really love.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There's downloadable advice on Skype interviews here .

And on getting jobs back in the UK after a stint abroad here

Best wishes

13. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Bought both books, very helpful, many thanks

TheoGriff likes this.
  14. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

PJ bottoms, shirt and tie.

Unlikely they'll ask to see your quickstep skills.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I aim to be helpful . . . and the books both get all 5* reviews, so I am pleased at that.

Best wishes