1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skype, anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jun 30, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My son has told his mum that if we get Skype then we can watch our grand daughter on the PC. So now mr blazer is bending my ear to get it.

What is it, what does it do, how do you get it, what do you need?

Please.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

3. Skype is a software application that allows users to make voice calls
    over the Internet. Calls to other users within the Skype service are
    free.
    You can download it for free but you'll need a webcam if you want the people you are talking to to be able to see you as well (IYSWIM).
    I used it last year to keep in touch with Mr Shaz when he was in Iraq. You can also send instant messages, photos, documents etc.
    I like it!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have a webcam somewhere (I bought it for pennies a couple of years back when Woolworths closed down). I think I have a mike and headset that came with a game some time back as well.

Time to go searching.

Thanks

5. I have a sister in Spain and a nephew (and young family) in Canada. Use Skype all the time to keep in touch. It is wonderful - especially for correcting my little great-nephew's pronounciation to ensure he grows up with a Scottish rather than Canadian accent!! (No, I don't do that actually, before I get slated.)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't think it can see into the womb, blazer, but I rate it very highly as it means I can see my grandsons in Sydney and my nephew and his family in Singapore. It's great.

7. Yep - all the time to talk to the rellies in the UK and Canada and America.
    Brilliant - firstly it is free and secondly we can see each other via Webcam. We adults are not too bothered about that, but it is nice for the kids and for the older rellies to see the kids - and for me to see my wee nephew [​IMG]

8. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

We use it to talk to my son when he's away. It's usually great - although sometimes a bit laggy which can be disorientating. Because it is free it's better than a phone call - and more like having the person in the same room. You can leave it on, wander off to make a cup of tea then return to the conversation. I'd certainly recommend it [​IMG]

9. It is also a motivation to tidy your house.
    My sis gave me a right rollicking once - "look at the state of your room!"
    Bleddy Virgos.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've used it a few times but couldn't get to grips with the slight delay.

11. I have it on my laptop but no longer use it as I always have issues with my microphone in that the only way I can make myself heard is to speak right into the mouthpiece at the bottom of the laptop which defeats the object of having a webcam as all the person on the other end can see is my bookcase!

12. Buy a better headset.
    Or change your laptop settings. Are they set to headset/mic and not to speakers?

13. I don't use headphones-probably why it's so bad but it did work at first even without headphones and got progressively worse. I have changed my laptop settings and it hasn't worked-I even got people who are a lot more technical than me to take a look at it and they couldn't work out what was causing it either.

14. casper

casper New commenter

Use it all the time to speak to kids when they are at uni saves on mobile phone bills. Also to talk to relatives around the country. Have been ill in bed after an operation so have even used it to contact my husband downstairs as I have been bed bound for a bit. Really useful.

15. We use it to show off the baby to relatives in US and Canada. It's pretty handy but we sometimes talk over each other. Agree with CQ and the house needing to be tidy. Also, don't sit in the same room in your PJs thinking your husband will know not to put you on the webcam.

16. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

If you have MSN messenger and a webcam, that also does the same thing now. I use both, but think I prefer MSN. Couldn't tell you why though!

17. Skype is great.
    My husband is working abroad and I get to talk to him everyday - for free.
    No the picture isn't perfect and there is a tiny delay to get used to but I still think its great. Saved us a fortune in phone calls.
    Every time i use it I think about seeing video calling on Tomorrows World and I really can't quite believe its possible.
    I already had a webcam & microphone built into my laptop so setting it up was easy peasy.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't have a slight delay on mine- no delay at all.

19. I too think Skype is great. Use it to converse with my daughter most days ( Germany). I actually find the typetalk is highly entertaining, as the live nature of it makes for "machine gun" banter. We dont bother so much with the cam anymore, but phone can be useful. I would recommend it to anyone. Second offspring away at Uni also uses it, and I know I can send message if needed in the morning and know it will be read, rather than expensive mobile calls.
    What are you waiting for?

20. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I use it to keep in touch with my brother abroad, my sisters and best friend in the UK (saving call costs)
    Sometimes the video quality is compromised and we just do voice calls instead.
    The difference when planning a call is that you tend to head for a mirror first to check hair etc.
    Can't see a down side to it; it's FREE!
    I had a webcam slotted onto my previous PC and have a built-in camera and microphone on my laptop.