1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skullduggery Pleasant - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missblack86, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Im looking for some class novels for my Y6 class.
    Im planning on reading Cirque Du Freak or the Demon Headmaster but have heard a few people mention Skullduggery Pleasant. To be honest, i'd never heard of these books before but if anyone can recommend them i might order some from Amazon.

2. Im looking for some class novels for my Y6 class.
    Im planning on reading Cirque Du Freak or the Demon Headmaster but have heard a few people mention Skullduggery Pleasant. To be honest, i'd never heard of these books before but if anyone can recommend them i might order some from Amazon.

3. my son absolutely loves them - has read them over and over and has the new one on order and the one following that.

He is just going into Y6 but has a really high reading age so has been reading them since first came out.

4. Skullduggery Pleasant came out when my son was in Year 6. He and his friends read each one avidly, desperately wanting the next one to come out.... they loved them.

5. man501

man501 New commenter

Skulduggery Pleasant is a great series, which I have read myself and can not wait for the next one (I find 'children's' books are often better than a lot of adult fair these days), though the more recent ones are not as appropriate for Year 6 as the first 3. Year 6 is a perfect time to start the series though.

6. Agreed. The later books are perhaps a bit dark for Y6 level, but as for the first one or two - I'm sure your class would love them! I've read them myself and found them very entertaining, as have several Y5/6 pupils I've taught on supply. Boys in particular adored them, though I imagine they'd also like Cirque du Freak and the rest of the Saga of Darren Shan.
    Having said that, OP, if you do end up going with Cirque du Freak, avoid showing them the film - it's truly awful!

7. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

The Skulduggery Pleasant books are relatively simple in terms of plot (IMHO) and some of the dialogue doesn't sound quite right and a bit clichéd, but the characters are great and the storyline that develops over the books is great. Some of my Year 4 children were reading them last year and I've been thinking about getting the books for my Year 6 class this year.

8. Hi, as a skulduggery fan I don't suppose you've got any great ideas for teaching it? My class are KS3 but EBD boys.. I've had a quick read of the book but can't find anything online about anyone ever planning an teaching it before!!! (I did find one discussion on here but it was very old... and no one replied:(

Any ideas / plans would be fab!!!! Thank you!!! :)

(ps email to kt6382@hotmail.com)

9. Film of Skulduggery is coming so get reading! My daughter is a good reader and is going into Year 6 and absolutely adores them. The author is also a lovely man, I hear. You will enjoy reading it as many adults love them too.

10. man501

man501 New commenter

As a teacher you can surely *gasp* plan your own unit for your own class so it is tailored to their needs? Or does that sound like too much hard work?