1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SKITT PGCE vs University Based PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by BelC, Nov 29, 2011.

1. I would really like to be a Maths teacher, but study Economics at Durham University. I obtained A*s in Maths and Further Maths at A-level (if that counts for anything these days!), but only a maximum of 1/3 of my cause will be made up of maths theory modules. Obviously, the remaining modules require a clear understanding of mathematical concepts, but contain little theory. In order to do a University PGCE, it seems I need to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course. The problem is that these seem to start in January and last approximately 3 months, meaning I would finish my Economics course in June, have to obtain work for 6 months, study for 3 and then work for another 3 or 4. I am happy to do this if it will benefit me in the long term, but it seems rather inconvenient. I would apply to this in the next academic year.

The alternative for me is to apply for a SKITT course. My local SKITT Secondary Mathematics course provider suggested that I could apply now ( I am in my 2nd year) and start to build up my maths alongside my degree and start a the SKITT course the September after I graduate. I am aware that not all SKITT courses lead to PGCE status, but this one does. However, I would need to apply for this asap.

I have been observing classes in a variety of schools but have especially enjoyed those in a small 3-18 independent girls school. Obviously these sorts of jobs are difficult to come by, but whilst I have some power to shape my future, I'd like to make sure I make the right decisions now to help my chances as much as possible. Whilst the SKITT course does seem to give excellent experience, I am unsure how it is viewed in the eyes of such schools.

Can anyone give any views on SKITT vs Uni-based PGCE's in terms of employment opportunities (or otherwise!)?

Thank you!

2. I would really like to be a Maths teacher, but study Economics at Durham University. I obtained A*s in Maths and Further Maths at A-level (if that counts for anything these days!), but only a maximum of 1/3 of my cause will be made up of maths theory modules. Obviously, the remaining modules require a clear understanding of mathematical concepts, but contain little theory. In order to do a University PGCE, it seems I need to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course. The problem is that these seem to start in January and last approximately 3 months, meaning I would finish my Economics course in June, have to obtain work for 6 months, study for 3 and then work for another 3 or 4. I am happy to do this if it will benefit me in the long term, but it seems rather inconvenient. I would apply to this in the next academic year.

The alternative for me is to apply for a SKITT course. My local SKITT Secondary Mathematics course provider suggested that I could apply now ( I am in my 2nd year) and start to build up my maths alongside my degree and start a the SKITT course the September after I graduate. I am aware that not all SKITT courses lead to PGCE status, but this one does. However, I would need to apply for this asap.

I have been observing classes in a variety of schools but have especially enjoyed those in a small 3-18 independent girls school. Obviously these sorts of jobs are difficult to come by, but whilst I have some power to shape my future, I'd like to make sure I make the right decisions now to help my chances as much as possible. Whilst the SKITT course does seem to give excellent experience, I am unsure how it is viewed in the eyes of such schools.

Can anyone give any views on SKITT vs Uni-based PGCE's in terms of employment opportunities (or otherwise!)?

Thank you!