1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skitt hours in school, Average day finish time in the school building (obvs still work at home time)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ByThePowerOfGreyskull, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ByThePowerOfGreyskull

ByThePowerOfGreyskull New commenter

I need to plan childcare for September I have been accepted on a SKITT program.
    Do I need childcare to cover past 5.30 each day or is it likely I will be able to do pick up at that time most days?

I am aware I will have work to do in the evenings but have hoped it wont be all school based.
    Advice welcomed.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

my childcare used to go on to 6.30, and was right next to the school, yet I still frequently had to go and collect my toddler and return to work with her

agathamorse likes this.
  3. ByThePowerOfGreyskull

ByThePowerOfGreyskull New commenter

Hmm thanks dunnocks. May require a rethink.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Grefintec

Grefintec New commenter

Prior to starting my SCITT I got an au pair and it was the best decision we could have made. We were told that school placements could have been an hour away and that we would be expected to be at work for 8am. As it turned out my first placement was indeed an hour away and I had to be out the house by 7am, childcare (3 primary age children) simply wasn’t available at this hour of the morning!!

Once a week we had a NQT meeting after school which finished 4.30/5pm and would have an hour trip home afterwards.

An au pair cost £75/week with food and lodging provided. We also paid for English lessons and gave her pocket money. To set up the placement with a verified provider cost £650.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. emilycolley1

emilycolley1 New commenter

Hi,

I have been searching for the last week for some advise on this topic!

I am a very determined individual, and have been wanting to train to teach for so long. I want to teach Design and Technology in a secondary setting.

I am a trained clothing/fashion designer and have been working in industry for over 5 years. However, the hours can be up to 11pm at night and over weekends with a lot of travelling and high pressure. Other designers in the team have decided not to have children because of this reason, and the ones that have hardly see them because they have to put them into childcare from 7am -7pm or longer. This is not what I want.

I used to commute 1hr and half each day, each way also, so I am very used to a tough working/lifestyle! However, I can appreciate teacher training is something else, and not easy by any means! Therefore, I have a lot to consider. We have just relocated back to Lincolnshire and my partner is working within the family business and for the last year I have been working freelance which is working great - a much more relaxed way of living!

I am now 4 months pregnant, and am still determined to apply for teacher training with a september start, so I will have a two month old baby, similar to yourself. Thus, I am looking into a part time option for school direct place. There are not many about. The location of the school I am in contact with is over an hours commute each way, though I would be in the school 3 days a week with one day of this at University. This is the only issue for me...the travelling and balance with a young baby.

I do have a great support system and can get childcare to cover 3 days a week... I am just doubting if I don't do it now, when will I? I have seen and heard peoples experiences of the work load, I am just curious what part time is like?

Has anyone else done part time, or is going to?

6. Gremlin78

Gremlin78 New commenter

Hi, I’m currently doing Scitt and my children are at my main school. They go to breakfast club from 8 and are at the after school
    Club until 5. It’s been fine! I’m now at my other placement so they go to a childminder at 7.15 (as it’s a 25 min drive) and I have been picking them up at about 5.30. It’s manageable this year - will consider Nqt year when I know where I will be working...!
    But yes, I do also work at home as there isn’t enough time to get everything done during the school day.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

PGCE and you finish after your last lesson unless you have a school meeting or open/parents evening.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

If I were you I’d put it back a while as the hours involved in teacher training and in teaching are quite brutal and you wouldn’t get to spend much time with your baby.

If you are adamant about training sooner rather than later, a PGCE would be more family friendly.

At my last MAT our SCITT trainees were expected to be in school by 8 and had to stay behind for around 2 hours after school for training and then do their planning, marking and assignments in the evenings, weekends and holidays.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, we are working hard to remove that kind of nonsense. Indeed I saw some ofsted slides going directly against that kind of life for a trainee today. The writing is on the wall for MATs that demand workaholic teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

when!!!??

can't happen soon enough.

we are all working 14+ hours a day at the moment, in our MAT, and there is always a reason why "its just for this week" because there are some temporary special circumstances, but the following week there are different temporary special circumstances.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but this is exactly what you will get in teaching, and probably for less pay, so whats the point?

seriously, don't do it. You will never see your child during term time.

what has being determined got to do with it? You don't have to be determined to become a teacher, you just have to be a mug

agathamorse likes this.
  12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s quite easy really. The DfE is staffed by raving capitalists. Making teachers work 14 hour days means the retention rate is plummeting. This costs the DfE lots of money. They have complete control over ofsted - see debate about how ofsted hand picked 'consultation' groups with no due process (staffed predominantly by DFE 'ex-experts', PTE AstroTurf 'experts' and twitter fanboys).

So, they have told ofsted - stop breaking balls. Go after the schools for policies which create workload. All that internal data stuff. At a stroke, ofsted wiped it out: 'we won’t even look at it'. Ofsted is going to end up a compliance check force. The DFE doesn’t want ofsted to stop its pet projects or cost lots of money in recruitment costs. Instead ofsted is enforcing the DFE's preferred curriculum (ebacc) and preferred teaching style (teacher-led knowledge, knowledge organisers, knowledge tests, retrieval of knowledge etc.) and that model is...cheap. Low workload. Cheap to run schools is a capitalist's dream. 14 hour days are paid for somewhere in the system. The DfE wants 8 hour days and fully costed.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. freckle9

freckle9 New commenter

I'm currently on SCITT (2nd placement) and I drop my daughter at breakfast club between 7:45 and 8am to get to school for about 8:15- 8:20am. I mark over break and lunch and normally leave school between 4:30 and 5:30 (but that includes chatting time!). She goes to after school club and I pick her up normally at about 5.

14. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

Please do not apply if your baby will be 2 months when you start. I applied to a PGCE when pregnant and luckily didn't get a place that year- my daughter would've been 9 months when I started and it would've been a nightmare.

I applied again the following year and got a place, she was 22 months at the time I started. That was bloomin difficult enough. It's really not a family friendly profession. I lasted 18 months after qualifying.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

When my first baby was 2months I thought I was doing well if I was out of my nightie by lunchtime.

PGCE_tutor and agathamorse like this.