1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skint!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jasonker1973, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Cant believe how skint i am. Any ideas how to earn more as a teacher!!

2. Cant believe how skint i am. Any ideas how to earn more as a teacher!!

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Tutoring is the obvious one depending on what you teach.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you're a teacher now, you'll know the demands of the job and the time it takes mean you don't have time or energy to take on extra work.
    So you're looking at cutting back on spending. Allocate your salary into the various parts, Rent/mortgage, services bills, Council tax etc. all things you have no control over (alright I know one can cut back on some services too- but that comes later when things get even tighter) and then see what you're left with each month. Divide roughly by 4 and you see how much is left for food, toiletries, extras & 'treats'. Then try to stick to that budget, if you 'go over one week' compensate by cutting back the next.
    As a supply who's not getting any work at present, I usually have a small purse with my allocated money when I go out. Yes I can window shop, but just don't have the money there to 'give in ' to temptation. Shop fortnightly so you can't overspend & have less opportunity to 'impulse buy'.
    There was a whole thread on cooking cheap meals last summer. I'll see if I can find the link later.
    But simple answer cut back and live within your means. (Try living off JSA! [​IMG])

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I don't spend a lot at all, but I'm struggling - bought a house which needs "work" but I can't afford it!
    Tutoring (there's a private tutors forum here!)
    I work for a healthcare agency at weekends. I really enjoy it to be honest. x

6. Thanks for the suggestions so far. However none are overly inspiring- seems to be a bit of slog for everyone. I am trying to write some resources and may try to get some published- any idea what commission rates are like?

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Findel Education pay 5% I think, although I think you should put some on here, especially if you ever download. Could always add some on for free with a link to more paid ones on a website of your own? x

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Be wary about the position re: copyright. Particularly if these resources are used by or created for school.

9. "I work for a healthcare agency at weekends. I really enjoy it to be honest. x"
    What does this entail? Was it advertised?
    Thanks
    G x

10. Unfortunately saving money is not very inspiring. But I am
    not working at the moment and am having a challenging time not being overdrawn,
    so am trying to spend much less money on food. While I was working I used to go
    into the supermarket, causally throw everything into the trolley and hardly
    ever look at the price of things. NOT ANY MORE.

This week I was able
    to get all the weeks groceries for four of us for £68. This included breakfasts,
    lunches and dinners. I hate processed food so it did not contain any premade
    foods. I went to one of those pound shops and was able to get brand name biscuits, hot chocolate, rice, noodles
    washing stuff for less than half the price – they were really the same size etc
    and sell by dates were ok. I then went to Lidl and got lots more bargains –
    they do great fresh fruit and veg. and lovely cheese. In the past I would not
    consider buying food from these stores but needs must. I will be doing this in
    future even when (be positive!!) I get a job. I am considering tutoring as I
    teach science with chemistry as my main subject but as I have only one years
    teaching experience I am trying to drum up the confidence to advertise.</font>

11. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

Have you considered marking GCSE exam papers? It may not be too late to offer services for this summer.

12. anon8315

Hi. My "weekend job" consists of caring for elderly people in their own homes mostly. I go in the morning to check they are OK and get some breakfast and do light housework, then again in the evening. If I'm asked I also do a sleepover - this pays about &pound;30 and is great as it's just going to sleep but being there if needed for help with going to the loo or something.
    I haven't done it for a couple of weeks as I've been poorly and I would hate for one of the elderly people to get ill, but it adds between &pound;50-&pound;100 depending how much I do to my weekly income. I spend this on my various needs such as food, petrol, clothes/shoes, social events, presents for friends and family, and try to save as much of my salary as possible from teaching.
    If you google healthcare agencies you should get some info but just be sure they will get you work as you do have to pay for a CRB. x

13. Sorry to disappoint you but that is life, no matter which sector you work in.
    If you are skint, then you are living beyond your means.
    Those are the hard but true facts.

14. Jeesh, I didn't mean to sound so unfriendly [​IMG]

15. anon8315

I don't think that's always the case - a run of bad luck can happen to anybody ...

16. I know - but you can change your luck.
    I was left with loads of debt and crawled back out.
    I am a bit rational and unforgiving on the issue.
    I don't mean to sound so strict and lacking in understanding.

17. anon8315

presumably the op is trying to do this by asking how they can earn more money.

18. Have I somehow caught you on the wrong foot or are you avoiding the bits of my posts where I had already suggested I had perhaps come across as impatient and unfriendly?
    Just wondering why you are being so terrier like, like!

19. anon8315

I'm not - or at least not intending to be! But people do have a tendency sometimes to assume you are spending too much, when that isn't the case. I know when I asked a few months ago about ways to make extra money people insisted on giving me cutting back advice, which is fine, but not quite what I needed.
    I had a big change in circumstances recently, and it led to financial difficulties - nothing dreadful but I suppose it has made me conscious that it's easy for your whole salary to be gobbled up practically before you see any of it x

20. Okidoki - peace [​IMG]