1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skincare - and the beach

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cys2017, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

hi so yesterday we were at the beach and it’s improved my skin a lot. I noticed this last time too (I’ve only ever been twice). I was wondering if it would be recommended to take a bottle of sea water and some sand in a jar to make my own face mask? Or as a toner etc?

colpee likes this.
  2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't think that a salty, gritty face mask will give great results. Any improvement in your skin will be down to fresh air and possibly drinking more water. I question whether the difference would show in 24 hours though. I would suggest that you had fun and are feeling positive - health improving in itself.

BetterNow and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

4. cys2017

5. cys2017

I googled and it said sea water has stuff in like calcium and magnesium

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Do you have eczema? Exposure to sunlight is known to improve eczema. It was probably the UV-B.

7. cys2017

It helped with acne. And it’s sunny where I live anyway the sea water seemed to help

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you read the link, you'll see it could cost you thousands of euros!

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Calcium can't be absorbed through the skin. Magnesium can to a certain extent but not in the quantities or dilution found in seawater. It's more likely the improvement in your skin (is it tone? Colour? Spots? Wrinkles?) is a combination of moisturizing sunscreen, UV light and fresh air, or maybe the refreshing effect of a lovely day out!

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

"Pure natural sea salt — a top acne mediation that works in a very short amount of time, or at least for those that don’t have a severe chronic acne condition. [Get out of jail free]

Most of the time, what we eat and our hormones lead to acne. Despite the myth, it’s not chocolate that causes acne, it’s actually the dairy and sugar in milk chocolate. Heavy oils that are refined, refined flours and refined grains, refined and added sugars, and processed food in general all also lead to acne."

This is simply not true. A salt scrub may help with exfoliating dead cells - and it doesn't matter the colour or source - but the rest of it is just a shameless attempt to sell "health foods".

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

OP, you say this is only the second time you have been to the beach which makes me wonder where and in what kind of climate you have been living and whether this has a bearing on your skin condition. I'm thinking outside the box here - air conditioning /heating?

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Surely beauty and health products don’t sell in the billions because of certifiable results?

@cys2017 should sell it as new product. Obviously it will need a more marketable name to get the gullible to hand over their quids:

1D5BFE72-6B83-4170-9F1A-A413C1E84983.jpeg AquaSio
    A subtle blend of ancient minerals
    Harvested from Nature herself.