1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Skin - really getting me down

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Delphi, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Following on from the weight thread, my issue is my skin which for the past few months has been breaking out in really bad, painful spots, mainly but not exclusively in the same place - to the left of my nose! It's obviously hormonal as am approaching a certain age but never having suffered spots as a teenager, this is a big shock to me. Today I didn't feel like going out because it's so bad and was almost relieved to have report writing as an excuse to stay in! It's only my face that's affected.
    I feel really self-conscious and even my daughters have commented - sympathetically but with obvious pity!
    Any suggestions??

2. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Following on from the weight thread, my issue is my skin which for the past few months has been breaking out in really bad, painful spots, mainly but not exclusively in the same place - to the left of my nose! It's obviously hormonal as am approaching a certain age but never having suffered spots as a teenager, this is a big shock to me. Today I didn't feel like going out because it's so bad and was almost relieved to have report writing as an excuse to stay in! It's only my face that's affected.
    I feel really self-conscious and even my daughters have commented - sympathetically but with obvious pity!
    Any suggestions??

3. Hi, had similar problem, and althoughI I felt awful going to the doctor, he really didn't mind! a quick look and then a prescription for an antibotic lotion did the trick....phew.Before I went I had spent a small fortune on over the counter products which just seemed to aggrevate the spots and my skin felt dreadful and looked worse, not a good look when speaking to parents and trying to look professional. I know the way you look shouldn't matter but sometimes it just does!!!!make an appointment it will take a couple of minutes and get professional opinion. Good Luck.

4. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

As flynne says, it's easily treated so you really shouldn't worry about going to the doctor.

5. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Adult acne is the worst, and completely unfair when you also have to cope with things like Doing Your Own Laundry and a job. [​IMG]
    When I've had a bad attack I've usually gone to the doctor's (they do sort it and it's usually quite quick), but I've also noticed a big correlation between bad skin and diet. I couldn't understand why I suddenly got afflicted by spots at certain times, but it's generally been when I haven't been eating well for one reason or another. Now I take multivitamins and rarely have any problems.
    I

6. Hi Delphi,
    Definitely visit your GP. I suffered from acne as a teenager which cleared up around the age of 19 but which came back as adult acne when I started working full time. I was in tears at the doctors as it was really affecting my self confidence. I was also finding that OTC products such as Oxy, Clearasil etc dried my skin out so much and made it really red. He gave me a cream called Differin (also known as adapalene gel) 0.1% (think this refers to the strength). It took a while to work but a year later I am still using it and, best of all, it doesn't irritate my skin! I also use jojoba oil and cetaphil moisturiser. Both feel quite greasy and initially I was really worried about using them on my skin, but they barely contain any chemicals (the jojoba oil is completely natural) and I think this has really helped my skin. I also take the contraceptive pill Yasmin which seems to have helped.
    Good luck!

7. Ah, I do sympathise. Adult acne runs in my family and I've tried numerous products vith varying success. First thing I will say is that contrary to popular belief, acne and spots is NOT caused by eating fatty foods/bad diet- I have of course gone on long term health kicks excluding various foods I suspected might be making things worse but it made not a jot of difference. The Acne Society's research backs this up. Also it is NOT caused by poor facial hygine/cleaning routines- in my experience people who suffer from bad skin tend to be more obsessive about keeping skin clean if anything. As you say yourself, it is likely to be hormonal, especially if it's in one place. The contraceptive pill Dianette was fantastic for keeping it under control, but that wasn't a long-term option due to it being a higher- risk pill.
    I have been using a roll on cream called Zineryt since last October, and it is gentler on the skin than a lot of others I've tried, and had been working pretty effectively until I got pregnant a few months ago- the flood of recent hormones has been a bit too much for it to cope with. Most decent doctors will be sympathetic to adult acne, you could ask if you could try the one I'm on first or one that others have recommended first, as I did find that the first ones doctors gave me to try near enough took my top layer of skin off leaving it red raw, even if they did help with the spots.
    Good luck, do see the doctor asap

8. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I use Zineryt too and find it quite effective. I also take Evening Primrose Oil capsules everyday too and think that these help.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Zinc is a great healer (zinc is in nappy rash creams, for instance). Eat seeds. walnuts. egg yolks etc and consider taking a supplement opf Zinc Picolinate for a time (more easily absorbed than other zinc tablets/powders).
    Manuka honey is also antibacterial and healing and you can get medical Manuka honey antispectic cream from health food shops.

10. I used to suffer really badly from adult acne which has now all gone due to a few things I've tried : -
    1. Cleanse and polish by liz earle day and night
    2. once face has been washed use freezing cold water to close poores (sp?).
    3. Toner by liz earle after the cold water.
    finnally try to drink lots of water.
    Liz earle products have really made a massive difference to my skin so would strongly recommend it to anyone suffering.
    Good luck
    X

11. Never had spots in my life, but middle age hormones have created one or two. I can live with it, but they tend to be around my nose too, which you cannot hide.
    I would also validate the Liz Earle products - brilliant. I have to buy them when in the UK, but they are wonderous.

12. Interesting, I've never used Liz Earle products, will look out for them

To the OP, I know we're all different and what works for one won't necessarily work for another, but when I started using Lush's AguaMarina to clear up nasty irritated skin, I was surprised that it cleared up my spots as well. It's not expensive, so worth a try.

13. Delphi

Delphi New commenter

Thanks for all your advice. Will try some suggestions, not least because I teach an autistic child who says it like it is, as in, "You really need to do something about those zits, Mrs D!"