1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills used in RS

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Gemden, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Gemden

Gemden New commenter

Have to come up with an introductory unit on key RS skills to be taught as the first unit with Y7 in Sept. (SMT thinking behind this!)

Have considered - empathy, being open-minded, reflection, literacy, evaluation (but not sure if suitable for Y7?).

Anything you would add? Will only have 5-6 lessons and thought I would try to use them in a unit on 'What is belief?' which includes Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Buddhism. This would save me some work but have wondered if it would be better to focus on the key skills but perhaps from a non-religious/secular basis as its the skills that need to be the focus rather than the subject (if that makes sense?) but not sure on what.

Anyone do a Key skills unit? If so what do you focus on and how do you deliver it?

Any thoughts much appreciated,
    Gem

2. Gemden

Gemden New commenter

Have to come up with an introductory unit on key RS skills to be taught as the first unit with Y7 in Sept. (SMT thinking behind this!)

Have considered - empathy, being open-minded, reflection, literacy, evaluation (but not sure if suitable for Y7?).

Anything you would add? Will only have 5-6 lessons and thought I would try to use them in a unit on 'What is belief?' which includes Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Buddhism. This would save me some work but have wondered if it would be better to focus on the key skills but perhaps from a non-religious/secular basis as its the skills that need to be the focus rather than the subject (if that makes sense?) but not sure on what.

Anyone do a Key skills unit? If so what do you focus on and how do you deliver it?

Any thoughts much appreciated,
    Gem

3. Hi,

I have made a 'Skills Booklet' for the new curriculum next year. i can email if thats any help. It looks at all kinds of skills that will stretch across the wole curriculum e.g synthesis, empathy, how to wirte a letter etc

4. Gemden

Gemden New commenter

Hi Tooyoung, that would be great.

Have you thought about uploading it to 'restuff' as it might save you the hassle of others wanting it!

Much appreciated,
    gilldenis@hotmail.com

5. hi guys, ill send tomorrow- ta! x

6. I do apologise for jumping on the band wagon but can I have a copy too?

cazbobrown@hotmail.com

thanks a million in advance!

7. jammy06

jammy06 New commenter

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

it would be so much easier if you put it up on restuff.co.uk or even on here!

oh ps
    sorry

elfie_tes@hotmail.co.uk

9. Please upload and share your ideas? we all post our work (under different user names) on re.stuff so we don't all have to keep reinventing the wheel. Let us know when you have managed to do this!

BB

10. I too would appreciate a copy, I have just been put in charge of a new competency and skills based curriculum for yr 7 and writing one of these types of booklets was one of my tasks for the summer. Many thanks and sorry for jumping on the band wagon