1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills tests - do they expire?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Joanne2009, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,

So, I had my first PGCE interview today and it went quite well. They did say that they think I may have to resit my skills tests though as I did them back in 2015. I am hoping I don't have to do them again (I passed both first time)! Does anyone know if they expire and, if so, after how long?

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

Speaking personally, I don't know if the tests expire, but the skills they are testing usually do if not used often enough.:)

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

I did my GCSEs (O-levels actually) in 1979. No-one has pointed out that I might need to be retested.

Any why would a HR person say that they think? Don't they know.

4. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Good point John!

It was the senior course leader who said it but he was the only one doing the interviews (he wasn't sure at all). I have e-mailed the test people themselves for confirmation.

I really hope I don't have to do them again.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

A quick google will show that they are valid for 3 years from the date of passing
    http://sta.education.gov.uk/profess...cess-for-taking-the-professional-skills-tests

"Skills test passes for applicants to ITT courses remain valid for 3 years from the date of the test you passed. You must start an ITT course within this period. If you are applying for a course that starts beyond the period of validity, you will need to re-take the skills tests."

vvamadeva and blueskydreaming like this.