1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills test mental arithmetic: making notes?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by uu15926, Apr 22, 2017.

1. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

The Numeracy practice paper says "For the actual test, you will be provided with blank paper which you can use to record any working out".

If I can "record any working out", then it is not mental arithmetic. So can I write notes for the mental arithmetic section, or not?

2. Macky89

Macky89 New commenter

Yes you can. You will listen to a problem which is repeated twice, you then have to answer within the given time (18 seconds I think). You can make any notes you like, you just won't have access to a calculator.

uu15926 likes this.
  3. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

Just confirmed by the Professional Skills Test Support team, who tell me:

"You will be able to make notes using the whiteboard during all sections of the test, if there is not whiteboard available when entering the room please make a member of staff aware and they will provide you with one."​

4. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Yeah, I got given a couple of pieces of paper to write on. The numbers can be quite big so it's helpful to jot them down as the question's read.

uu15926 likes this.