1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills needed for maths: Summary of research findings

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lucycragg9, Jan 11, 2016.

1. lucycragg9

lucycragg9 New commenter

Skills Underlying Maths: Summary of Research Findings for Teachers

This new resource, also available from https://thesumproject.wordpress.com/teachers/, provides an introduction to the cognitive skills that are involved in learning maths. It offers a useful resource for primary and secondary school teachers to give them an overview of research in this area. Possible reasons for children’s difficulties with maths are identified and some useful tips for exploring these difficulties are provided.

It was developed by the Skills Underlying Maths project at the Universities of Loughborough and Nottingham and funded by the Economic and Social Research Council.

A resource aimed at parents is also available from https://thesumproject.wordpress.com/

Attached Files:

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Three years?

3. lucycragg9

lucycragg9 New commenter

Yes, it was a 3 year project. We are currently in the process of writing up the findings for publication as journal articles.

4. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

Having completed your research, can you tell me why schools are now teaching Tens and Ones, instead of Tens and Units? I qualified 30 years ago and have never had an issue with children struggling with the terminology. Is this just change for change's sake - fixing the wheel that isn't even broken?!

What I do find now is that teachers seem to push children to understand things, rather than letting them have the time to absorb concepts and apply them. I now only do supply work because I became so frustrated with this particular aspect of teaching. It's almost as if teachers think that, if they give children work that is too difficult for them, they are somehow going to absorb it regardless. It could explain why many children seem to be lacking basic skills in maths when they get older? Or even why some of them switch off completely?

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

That's because, until relatively recently, OfSted Inspectors (not its management) were pushing for certain things they expected to see in lessons. The 'perfect' lesson had to have obvious progress. Consolidation was cause for downgrading with terrible consequences for the schools.

OfSted have fired most of the Inspectors responsible for this and their inspection guidance now explicitly states no particular lesson style is expected and that they expect to see progress over time.

But it takes a lot for school managers - and teachers - to really believe this and change their ways. Plus, of course, some grew up through this and don't know any better.

6. bobdrivesahgv

bobdrivesahgv New commenter

Forgive me if I have missed it, but why isn't developing a student's maths confidence a primary consideration?