1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills for life survey 2011

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Anonymous, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So no one is surprised that after 12 years of education,OFSTED, countless strategies, new methods, old methods, interactive whiteboards etc that a 1/4 of the adult population have maths skills less than a 9 year old?
    50% are functioning at the expected level of an 11 year old or younger in maths?
    78% "may not be able to compare products and services for the best buy or work out a household budget"
    I think there are some people to exploit out there - or are companies already doing that?

2. I currently teach the adults between E1 and L2. You'd be surprised at how people just 'manage' without things. For example, people who can't read but get round it by saying they've forgotten their glasses, or people who can't add up but just say ' i'm not good at maths', which has become almost 'normal' these days.
    Age is quite important here too. Some of them are of an older generation. Most of them want to be able to help their children. A few of them are youngsters who didn't achieve at school.

3. bigkid

bigkid New commenter

Part of the problem is that it is socially acceptable to be useless at Maths in a way that it isn't to be useless at other things.
    Very few people annouce to the world that they can't read in the same way that they would say "I'm hopeless at Maths". There are social norms that are expected and being mathematically competent is apparently not one of them.
    There are lots of people who don't value Maths skills because they feel they are coping perfectly well without them. They probably don't have any concept of how much better off they might be it were otherwise.

4. in the days when i watched tv, there used to be information/advert things about how not being able to read made life difficult-when presented with a form or some such - and exhorting you to get down to your local adult learning centre and remedy the deficit
    has there ever been a similar campaign on lack of numeracy skills?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There used to be - but I can't see them anymore. I would love a job in adult education as I think basic maths (not algebra, angles, shape and space) but basic adult numeracy is so important and adults realise this when they get into work.
    I think there is supposed to be funding somewhere. But looking at the jobs in the FE sector - well TBH, the pay is a lot less than that of a teacher. The bureaucracy is the same. Contracts also run on a pay per hour, not a salary. Not the way I would like to work.
    Basic skills are so so important. I was lucky - I "get" maths and can work with numbers. But for many people, "They were never good at maths" and that is how they see themselves. The teacher in me would love to help people overcome that problem -one reason I do tutoring but I wish I could do that for those people who do need it for their work.

6. Most adults realise this when their children start asking for help with homework! Some of them realise when they can't get a job because their skills are being tested at interview - both literacy and numeracy. Furthermore, with it being so difficult to find work now, they are being sent on assessment days from the job centre to improve skills.
    Me either but at the time it seemed like a good idea!
    Today I will be teaching a small group of adults to add and subtract small numbers using a number line and a couple of other methods that they can trial to see if they grasp it. I was quite shocked at how low some of them actually are; 9 + 3 anyone?!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter