1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills for Life and Brain Gym

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by anon1021, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hello
    I'm currently looking into working in a skills for life capacity with ages 19 plus.
    There is a lot of research to suggest that Brain Gym can actually assist in progression as well as relax and prepare students for learning.
    It's quite common in schools, in particular primary but I was just wondering whether anyone does this in an adult capacity and what, if anything, you do, how you introduce it etc?
    Many Thanks
    NB

2. Hello
    I'm currently looking into working in a skills for life capacity with ages 19 plus.
    There is a lot of research to suggest that Brain Gym can actually assist in progression as well as relax and prepare students for learning.
    It's quite common in schools, in particular primary but I was just wondering whether anyone does this in an adult capacity and what, if anything, you do, how you introduce it etc?
    Many Thanks
    NB

3. As far as I know, there is actually very little systematic evidence to back this claim up at all.

Brain Gym itself acknowledges that there are, apparently, only two articles that have been published in a "peer-reviewed journal".

The rest is all "descriptive or anecdotal research." (Braingym website). Not what I would call science.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

If memory serves there is a lot of evidence that brain gym is actually pointless hokum indistinguishable from placebo.

5. hmmm getting the impression that neither of you are impressed then?!
    Would be good to hear from someone who has used it (if one exists!).

6. read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre

7. Call me what you will, Mistermandolin, but answer me this: what exactly was wrong with the cane?