1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills based marking and feedback

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Jimmyuk, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Jimmyuk

Jimmyuk New commenter

Hi

I would like some advice from fellow ICT/Computing teachers. This year SLT are really paying attention to the way teachers mark and feedback to students. The issues I encounter are that as I currently deliver the ECDL extra course lots of the work is skills based using office software. Students work through activities in a workbook; almost all the feedback is verbal as students are working through the practical tasks.

The workbook guides students through activities with lots of screenshots, so for example a task may involve students working on a word file and using basic editing skills to improve the document. How then would I provide them with meaningful feedback because once they have completed the task by following the instructions the task is completed. I hope this makes sense!

I would love to hear from other teachers on how they assess and provide meaningful feedback in a skills based qualification.

Thanks
    Jim

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

How do you assess when / if they are ready to take the exam?

3. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

one way around the verbal instruction issue is for you to write 'Verbal Feedback Given' in their book and then to get the pupil to write a summary of what you have said.

No doubt they also print out work that can still be corrected / improved, as they don't cover everything asked (unless you're very lucky with a completely compliant class). Chance to give feedback.