1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Skills based curriculum

Discussion in 'Primary' started by samjw86, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Im a teacher at a school in Wales and we are looking to change our planning to a more skills focussed approach. We are a little lost at where to begin and would appriciate any ideas/advise/examples.

Thanks

2. The curriculum has not been changed since 2000. What are you talking about?

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I was thinking the same thing. They must have meant 2000?

4. Er....no.
    The National Curriculum in Wales was reviewed and updated in 2008 and we have been teaching from a whole new set of curriculum documents since then.

http://wales.gov.uk/topics/educationandskills/schoolshome/curriculuminwales/arevisedcurriculumforwales/nationalcurriculum/?lang=en

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What are the big differences from before? It doesn't look anymore 'skills based' than England's Curriculum.

6. If you haven't read the documents in depth, or aren't familiar with actually teaching it, then the differences may not jump out at you, but they are there.
    Some areas haven't changed very much, but others are quite different.
    The whole thing is based on the idea of skills development and there's a separate document to guide us on this.
    http://wales.gov.uk/topics/educationandskills/schoolshome/curriculuminwales/arevisedcurriculumforwales/skillsdevelopment/?lang=en
    Science, for example (my subject) is quite different in some aspects. The knowledge that we are required to deliver has been considerably slimmed down and is less prescriptive. It is now split into 2 areas instead of different attainment target strands. One is the range, the knowledge side and the other is the skills. Compared to sc1 in the old curriculum, the skills section in the new curriculum is much more detailed with far more areas covered. It also specifically mentions 'trendy' things like success criteria. To get a level 4 in science the children have to have come up with success criteria and then evaluated their learning against them. They also have far more detail in the reflection aspect of the subject, including being able to reflect on different strategies they have used that have helped them learn.

7. We are covering all the skills but at present we are just fitting them into what we already do. We were looking to change our planning to have the focus on the skill, rather than covering them by chance if you see what I mean!!
    We are using the skills OAMS and looking to build these into our topics etc, is this a good way to go about it? I only recently qualified and have only been working in the school for a little while.